In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Throat length?

TreadlightlyTreadlightly Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hi all, and Happy New Year.
I have an early Sako chambered in 250 Savage. I'd like to use the Nosler 115gr bullets in this one and want to seat them right out so as to use the all the available case space. OAL that the mag box will allow is 2.750".
My question is can I ream the throat only or will I have to order a reamer especially for this job and rechamber as well. Thanks[?]

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    you can order (or rent) 'throating' reamers. they just cut the throat deeper
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    plz for the love of god if it is a true early sako as you say DONT DO IT. these are only going up in value

what model, and year? if you dont know the year post some of the serial i can tell ya i have sako date codes
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before you go doing that, I would seat a dummy round to the lands, and one to the magazine length. If the difference is not at least 0.150", you will not be gaining enough to make it worth while. Infact, I think I would leave well enough alone, and enjoy that 250 for what it is.

At least you can reach the lands with magazine length ammo. I had to cut down, and rechamber a Remington Sendero SF II barrel, in 300 RUM, to eliminate about 0.300" of freebore from magazine length ammo.

Best

EDIT 1

I guess if the throat dimensions match your magazine, there is nothing more to gain, unless you want to ue it as a single shot. I would think that 3000 FPS with a 250 Savage and a 115 grain pill is asking a lot. The original specs were 3000 fps with a 87 grain bullet. Your rifle though, but I would enjoy the classic round for what it is.

Best
  • TreadlightlyTreadlightly Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought this one already rebarrelled in 250 Savage from a deceased estate so I'm not too fussed about mods.
    As for seating a dummy round I couldn't close the bolt on necked-up Lapua 22/250 cases. I did manange to evetually with a good deal of messing around.
    The OAL 2.750" I came to allows me to get up to 38gr of Re17 with the Nosler 115gr BT's so I guestimate a velocity of 3000fps.
    Serial number is 97340. If you give me a manufacture date I'd be grateful, thanks.
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i need the model of sako it is in order to check the DOM
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is how I answered the same question in the original post:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=545539

"Treadlightly,

"Problem is I can't close the bolt on 22/250 cases necked up."

You shouldn't be able to. Look at these dimension drawings for the answer. The 22-250 Remington has a rim to base of the neck length of 1.660" while the .250-3000 Savage length is 1.637". The shoulder angle is different also, 26.5 degrees for the 250-3000 Savage as opposed to 28 degrees for the .22-250 Rem.

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd2503000savage.jpg

http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd22250.jpg

You can get throating reamers which your gunsmith can use to alter the length of the throat without having to get a custom reamer for the entire chamber.

Best."

If you'll take a minute to look at the drawings from the links you will realize why you can't close the bolt.

By extending the throat to the 2.750" magazine length, you might gain 100 FPS approximately when loading with the Re-17. I also vote to keep the barrel at the original length.

Best.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I would shoot some at the present chamber length to see if the bullets stabilize. If it has the old 14 twist, you will not hit much with a 115 grain bullet.
  • TreadlightlyTreadlightly Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems I been on the wrong track.
    I bought this one used from a deceased estate.
    This has a beautiful barrel inside looking through the smiths borescope but then it goes horribly wrong.
    The barrel was chambered with I don't know what but it was such an appaling job we had to cut the thread off and rechamber.
    This time I reckon we'll get it right[:0]
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I dont have my CARTRIDGE OF THE WORLD book with me but could using a 257 roberts reamer clean up the bad chamber of the 250 savage ? Then you would not have to set the barrel back.. Without looking if you cut the barrel back this will normally leave a BIG GAP on the barrel to wood fit.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Treadlightly
    Seems I been on the wrong track.
    I bought this one used from a deceased estate.
    This has a beautiful barrel inside looking through the smiths borescope but then it goes horribly wrong.
    The barrel was chambered with I don't know what but it was such an appaling job we had to cut the thread off and rechamber.
    This time I reckon we'll get it right[:0]

Treadlightly,

Appalling in what way? You might have had one very efficient/cool chambering. .25 Souper perhaps? .25 BR? .250 Ack. Imp? or RCBS Imp.?

Anyhow, if you've already cut the thread off and re-chambered it, that has solved the problem for now.

Perry,

I do believe that would have cleaned up well from .250 to .257 Rob. Especially since the chamber seemed short. I, for one, would've liked to have known what the chamber was before it was cut off.