In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Python Mark III

lumberjack2lumberjack2 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Any idea of value. Only 2 made as factory prototype. Has a Colt letter.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many thousands, if it's the real mccoy. Letters don't mean squat anymore unfortunately. With the advent of computers, scanners, laser printers etc, a 10 year old kid could knock out a Colt letter in 20 minutes. With that kind of money at stake only a hands-on by a reputable very knowledgeable Colt expert would suffice.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rufe, if you can verify the letter is authentic, you have a real rare piece worth thousands. In was at Greg Martin auction a couple years ago where numerous old Colt factory prototypes were for sale, unmarked Pythons, and all types of unusual pieces obviously made at Colt. I don't recall ever seeing a Python Mark III at any auction, but thats not to say they dont exist. Can you post some pictures of the gun with the barrel markings.
  • Options
    lumberjack2lumberjack2 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will post pictures if I get it. Thanks for the input. I am verifying the serial number and letter.