In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 29 8 3/8 - Blue

popgunpopgun Member Posts: 670
edited January 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hi,

I have a S&W Model 29 which I purchased new in the mid-70's (probably 74-75.) It has been fired about 100 rounds since then, but the bluing is factory and I've kept it well cleaned and oiled all these years. I am not an expert, but would guess it's in 95% or better condition.

At one point in the late 70's a gunsmith friend sent the 29 back to S&W for minor repair and adjustment (I can't remember what the problem was, but it was minor.) He told me that S&W production quality had gone down at that time, but that they had retained all of their old expert gunsmiths for doing repair and adjustment work, and that by sending the 29 into them for work, it would come back in much better condition and alignment than it was originally. I don't know how accurate he was in saying that - but that's what he told me.

The 29 came in a wooden presentation box with blue satin-like interior. Although I've kept the 29 in a padded case for protection, I still have the box (although it is somewhat scratched and scuffed due to many moves since 1975.) It still has the screw driver that came in the box, but alas I've lost the cleaning rod that came with it somewhere along the line of the last 36 years.

I have no paperwork on the 29 except for some S&W advertising that was included in the box at the time.

I haven't shot it in years, as ammo for it is about $1 a round now, but it's an excellent gun and I'd appreciate knowing what it's worth.

So could anyone please give me an estimate of what the 29 might be worth today? I have no intention of selling it right now, but in these hard times I would like to know what I might get for it if I was forced to sell it.

Any info/estimate you can give will be appreciated, and if you need any additional info on it to make a more accurate estimate, please let me know.

Thank you.

:)

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In hard times I'd rather have the pistol. You could search the auction side to get a good clue on current value. Look under the grips for a circled R stamp. One of mine from the Bangor Punta Marine days went back after the first cylinder full. They said it had a bulge in the bolt notch. BS the reamer carried a chip and had a radial gouge in the chamber. They did fix it for free. I got a call from the director of public relation. Said he just got out of a meeting and his butt chewed by the Pres "What are we doing so wrong to piss some guy off this bad". I had sent them a very nasty letter (somewhere I have acopy) and the nicest thing I said was so next week you all will be micky mouse. Never underestimate the value of a good letter.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll deal with any vendor's Customer Service the first time. If they * off or provide substandard service, my next letter, paper not email, is to the company President, along with documentation of who said and did what and when. It almost always results in better service, since the S*** flows downhill in the building. The President asks the Division Manager for an explanation and the Division Manager asks the branch manager for one, and finally the worker gets asked. Knowing the answer is going clear to the top frequently gets their attention and results in better service. Hint: Do not rant and rave or insult anyone. Do not make threats of legal action or that you will smear their names in the forums. State the facts clearly. Then, most importantly, state exactly what YOU think is a fair resolution to the problem. i.e. exchange, free repair, substitution, etc. [:)] If they still don't satisfy, then by all means take the other options of suing, and spreading the word among the other users. [:)]
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Which series?

To be honest, I don't know.

I took off the grips and found the following numbers and letters on the metal on the left side of the handle: first there was a "13," then more to the middle, lower than the "13" was "89647." A little ways behind that number was the number "179." Then below that number was "R-" (something, but I can't read the last number behind the "R-"). On the right side of the handle appears to be an "A." That is all that's stamped on the right side.

Hope this helps, and thanks again for any help.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same gun including box. Swing open the cylinder, look on the yoke and you'll probaby see a 29 - 2 stamped. Just a ballpark if it's in excellent shape, I'd put $850.00 on mine. Maybe $100.00 less outside California. You can check the ended auctions here and get a good idea. I like the longer barrel but the 8 3/8" isn't the most popular version.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The "29-2" is there.

Thanks so much for that info. It's nice to know what it's worth.

[:)]
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1