In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

value on vintage optics ?

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Bushnell Scopechief 22 3x-9x 20 mm

But on the scope itself it says 3x-8x and has "No. F120256" which may be a serial number?

DSC07563.jpg

DSC07569.jpg

DSC07568.jpg

DSC07567.jpg

DSC07565.jpg

After I posted this I found one here that didn't seem to be there before. I'm watching it, but would still like opinions on value with the box and paperwork.
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you have a scope and box that have been mixed up somehow, Henry. The scope looks like it's for a .22 rifle, rather then a centerfire Remington. The 20mm lens objective size is another reason I believe the scope was intended for a rimfire rifle.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    box is NOT for that scope neither is the paperwork . paperwork has Command post your scope does not your box is scopechief IV with rings your scope has mounts for 3/8 groove receiver. your scope is scopechief 22
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    box is NOT for that scope neither is the paperwork . paperwork has Command post your scope does not your box is scopechief IV with rings your scope has mounts for 3/8 groove receiver. your scope is scopechief 22

I had one on a Stevens 87a and it was a great combo.
    I agree that the box does not match.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The base on this scope shows it's for a rimfire with a grooved receiver. Whenever I buy an older rifle, especially a 22, I make it a point of buying a period correct scope. I'd say this would go on a early 70's rifle like the Ithaca 72, maybe a Mossberg Chuckster. Probably a +$20.00 scope I'd guess.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at the scope. It says Scopechief 22 NOT Scopechief IV like the box. They just don't go together.
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The box for a 3-8 IV Scopechief was Bushnell's high quality line...an answer to Leupold. I have several from a few years back when they sold for $60-80 bucks on GB or ebay.

Interestingly, I got a 22 Mossberg 352ka in about 1957, and it had that 20mm rimfire scope on it. The gun and scope were burgled in 2004, then recovered after 19 months under a bush in the woods, and the scope actually found quickly under attic insulation after a sheriff's warranted search. I would say that 20 mm is better than the typical 3/8 rimfire scopes you get today. Imho worth $45.
  • TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Nick Stroebel's book, "Old Gunsights and Rifle Scopes", he assigns a value of $40-80 on a Scopechief 22 3-8X. I agree with the others about the box/paperwork not being correct for your scope,and that its real world value is under $50.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I figured $50 would be top dollar for this scope but I wasn't sure if there was any collector's market for optics.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Henry0Reilly
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I figured $50 would be top dollar for this scope but I wasn't sure if there was any collector's market for optics.

Lot of Bushnell scopes, show up on fleabay. You might check over there periodically, to get an idea of what they are selling for on the collectors market.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are indeed optics collectors, though the larger market is guy putting period correct on older rifles. Got a few my self.