In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Seeking history on this holster thing

MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
I found this in my late father's estate, and am seeking any history/info I can find about it. I'm sure it's not rare or anything, I've just never seen anything like it.

It has 6 pistol holsters, 3 on each side. It also has a NSN, so I know it was government issued at one point. It is dated to '77. Can't seem to find anything looking up the NSN in the database, maybe I'm reading it wrong though, it's a little smudgy looking.

Was this used for training, or matches, or something else? Thank you in advance for any help!

1E99D3B6-6989-4BCF-888D-8D917F9B007F-939-00000128165AAE42.jpg
9BBBE52A-A1A3-4578-A516-1AABA8D01E6C-939-000001281F2E7148.jpg
98457B68-8F60-4CFC-BA25-D8E376DC882F-939-00000128360E9644.jpg

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I Think they were used for storage of pistols in arms room .
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was the prototype for the new Obamma CCW unit for gunwalking.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That ""nsn 3ui0005 00 380 8798"" number is a navy order number for the Dept of Defense purchases. I believe you have a holder from a warship that held 6 guns, in a rack system.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Could be used to carry guns to a range.
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    . . . you have a holder from a warship that held 6 guns, in a rack system.

Correct.
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the former First Lieutenant and Gunnery Officer on a US Navy ship I can positively state that this board/holster was not used in ship's armories for pistol storage. It was used in port to transport M1911 Colts to the Quarterdeck Watch and other locations when in port. Under normal conditions, The Command Duty Officer, The Officer of the Deck, and the Bos'n Mate of the Watch were issued side arms. In addition, sometimes the Duty Master of Arms and duty Gunners Mate would also be armed, depending upon the ship, and which port it was in.
    Every Ship's armory had at least one of these....at least through the Viet Nam era.
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by steg
    Every Ship's armory had at least one of these....at least through the Viet Nam era.I notice this one is marked as being from several years after VN.

FWIW - I tried to pull up the NSN shown but it's apparently no longer active.
  • TombstonejimTombstonejim Member Posts: 190
    edited November -1
    As the former First Lieutenant and Gunnery Officer on a US Navy ship I can positively state that this board/holster was not used in ship's armories for pistol storage. It was used in port to transport M1911 Colts to the Quarterdeck Watch and other locations when in port. Under normal conditions, The Command Duty Officer, The Officer of the Deck, and the Bos'n Mate of the Watch were issued side arms. In addition, sometimes the Duty Master of Arms and duty Gunners Mate would also be armed, depending upon the ship, and which port it was in.
    Every Ship's armory had at least one of these....at least through the Viet Nam era.

Just out of curosity I don't see any place for magazines. Did they just get one or were they carried seperately?
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tombstonejim

Just out of curosity I don't see any place for magazines. Did they just get one or were they carried seperately?

For watch purposes, only one magazine per pistol was issued. In some ports, where the Navy's presence was politically sensative, only the Officer of The Day's pistol was loaded with live ammunition. The reason for this was that there had been several incidents where locals had been shot while illegaly trying to board the ship, and this caused terrible anti-American riots ashore.
    In such ports, even the Bow and Stern Sentries did not have live ammunition for their M1's. In a couple of cases that I know of, when bum boatmen tried to illegaly board, they got their heads bashed in! They were then held in custody until they were given to civilian authorities ashore.
  • MrM1A1MrM1A1 Member Posts: 2,764 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way cool! Thank you for the help.[;)]