In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Walther P22 won'tfeed the next round.

1923model12win1923model12win Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
My brother in law bought his girlfriend a New P22. When outside shooting, it wouldn't feed the next round without manually pulling the slide back. Is it because it is new and just needs broke in? We tried 3 different kinds of .22 amunition. Federal, Federal Spitfire, and Winchester. All were hunting loads with hollow points.

Thanks for any help!
Ian

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So have you taken it apart then cleaned and oiled the moving surfaces?

try google

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2oIZOyfDLc
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree with 007 "oil is your friend"
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    Try solid point ammo for awhile.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Would suggest you also look at the mag as the spring might not be working right. How about the ammo....I shoot Minimags in mine and never have had a problem. So, if it was me I would start with the mag, then the ammo and then the gun itself...and I agree that oil is your friend. Good luck...I love my little P22.
  • Options
    BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    Clean it, oil it, check the mag springs, and try round nose mini-mags.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1923model12win,

The P22 has been through some teething pains. It has had a few problems that can be addressed by its owner. Some of the magazines gave trouble. One of the problems is the loosening of the two frame bolts(1 on the left & 1 on the right), sometimes called "stove bolts" (this one has been backed out on purpose):

IMG_7154.jpg

The bolts back out, and need to be tightened.

These links are to a very good tutorial on teardown of the P22:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100700

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100711

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100723

This link contains very good illustrations of how the P22 works:

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p22/22328-p22-function-fire-control-components-illustrated.html

...like these:

RearTriggerBar.jpg

criticalmoment.jpg

You can also Google "P22 Bible", for a comprehensive guide to fixing some of the bugs in the P22, plus modifying the gun for smoother, more-reliable functioning.

Also, several P22 owners use a dry lubricant, instead of an oil.

Good luck![;)]
  • Options
    1923model12win1923model12win Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigloop thank you for all of the info! I also noticed that in the magazine the shells don't stack straight. The back ends sit left and right staggered not in any order and spring felt soft to me. Bullets will be straight vertical but, like I said the rear of the shells are cocked sideways
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rules of thumb when having these problems:
    1) Clean it
    2) Try different rounds
    3) Try another mag
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1923model12win
    My brother in law bought his girlfriend a New P22. When outside shooting, it wouldn't feed the next round without manually pulling the slide back. Is it because it is new and just needs broke in? We tried 3 different kinds of .22 amunition. Federal, Federal Spitfire, and Winchester. All were hunting loads with hollow points.

Thanks for any help!
    Ian

These particular pistols have a reputation of being somewhat unreliable out of the box. This gun needs to be be:

a. Taken down, thoroughly cleaned, and oiled before proceeding further. All new guns can have dirt and grit in their from the factory, reducing reliability.

b. Run strictly with 40 grain roundnose solid bullets, at least until the gun is reliable. Hollow points and hunting rounds work in manual repeating rifles. . .they tend not to cycle semiauto pistols quite so well. CCI minimags run most guns well. If you want a "cheap" ammo, the Federal 40 grain "automatch" can be had at Walmart, and in my experience actually does tend to run semi-auto .22s well.

c. Shoot gun with not less than one "brick" (that's 500 rounds) of .22 ammo to break it in.

Yeah, you can take the gun apart, and buff surfaces and the like, but running 500 rounds through the gun effectively does the same thing, since the wear of parts rubbing against other effectively polishes all the working surfaces.

While in many cases you can improve the feel and reliability of gun by breaking it down and polishing surfaces and such, in my opinion, you shouldn't have to be your own "gunsmith" just to get a brand new gun to run right. The factory is supposed to sell you a working gun, or at least one that will work right with reasonable breaking in.

Also realize that this sort of work could void the manufacturer's warranty on the gun. (It shouldn't. . .but it might).