In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Springfield 1873 trapdoor model question and trigg

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
Gun has a 18" bbl but not have a saddle ring. Can't figure out the model.
And, when the action is out of the stock, it will cock and fire, but not with in the stock; you have to push the hammer off to fire.
Any help will be appreciated.
Bill

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos, using the instructions at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Springfield carbines normally had 22" barrels.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    It sounds like a cut-down parts gun with the wrong stock. Carbines had a saddle ring bar and a 22" barrel.

Pics will tell the tale.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a carbine or a rifle with a cut-off barrel. Most likely one made from parts, as well.

The internals of the lock are binding on the inside of the stock which is why it will not fire except when it's outside the stock. Easy to fix. Determine what is binding and relieve the wood where it's rubbing.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My impression that it was a made-up gun also, as the bbl is 18".& has rotational marks behind the rear sight.
    Ser # is 81989, and I know the Mantra about pics, but I still have dial-up, and loading pictures times out before finishing.
    I left a message for Al Fraska& ask his opinion as to where to start it on auction, or I might pull a "LF" and start @$.01!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Jordan
    My impression that it was a made-up gun also, as the bbl is 18".& has rotational marks behind the rear sight.
    Ser # is 81989, and I know the Mantra about pics, but I still have dial-up, and loading pictures times out before finishing.
    I left a message for Al Fraska& ask his opinion as to where to start it on auction, or I might pull a "LF" and start @$.01!!!!!!!

Bill - I sent you an e-mail with my e-mail address. You're welcome to send the pics directly to me if you want. I used to collect those old Trapdoors. I had 35 of them at one time until my selfish wife wanted to buy a house of all things! [:(!][;)]