In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 340 SC

bluesteel4rbluesteel4r Member Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in Ask the Experts
just acquired a S&W 340SC it looks like it has a key about the cylinder release what does it do ?/ and does anyone know where i can get a key for it. the person i got it from has no idea
thanks
Dave

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S & W put the locking mechanism on their revolvers for awhile. Eventually so many people got riled up about it, and quit buying their revolvers, Smith stopped.

You can buy the key from Midway for less then $5.00. The shipping charges will probably run you more then the key.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Key locks up the gun so the hammer can't be cocked, and a little flag pops up behind the hammer indicating that its locked.

Note that certain jurisdictions require a manual lock on their guns. Its not just Smith that has these, Taurus and Ruger do too, though with different designs. IIRC, Ruger cheekily put its UNDER the grips, so you REALLY want to have the gun locked (or unlocked). Smith definitely still sells guns with locks, though I think on SOME models they've returned to selling non-lock versions, so if you hate the lock and are lucky enough to live in a place that doesn't require them, you can buy a new Smith without one.

Anyway, I bet Smith would send you a key for some nominal amount, or maybe even for free if you asked them.

Personally, I don't use the lock on the gun. If I don't want the gun to fire, I take out the ammunition. If I want it to be locked, it goes in a locked box.