In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"No Rust" gun bags. Do they work?

FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
Every "truck gun" I've ever had began rusting very quickly. Wondering if these work. If so....how? Looks like a standard plastic bag. What makes it different?

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If my memory is correct, those plastic tubes were made to use with one or two dessicant pads in them. Or, the rifle was heavily greased before inserting into the tube.
    MGMoran is correct. Those plastic tube came with a paper/aluminum foil vapor wrap inside the tube. I have used them. They leave a powdery coating all over the firearm.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I believe those gun bags use a compound similar to that used in 'vapor' wrappers, such as certain manufactures use to package their firearms in, in order to prevent corrosion. I worked in a machine shop in which we used a vapor wrapper called 'Nox-Rust' to wrap finished artillery gun parts, which were going to be in transit and in storage for an indeterminate amount of time.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about those bags, but let me tell you about "Truck guns".
    The cab of a truck is the worst place for a gun. It is full of humidity, And the constant temperature changes cause condensation on the guns.
    Think about what happens...you leave a gun inside the truck, it gets cold as the outside temp. is. Then you hop in and blast the heater and put on the windshield defroster, sending more water vapor into the cab.
    Any gun I used as a truck gun always got a coating of grease/oil, more so than a gun left inside the house.
    That's why they're called truck guns, leave the nice ones in the house. Sporterized ex-military make the best truck guns. [:D]
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say, yes, they work. I've used them and plain plastic bags; I've always used a small silica-gel pack sealed in the bag with the firearm. I think that's important -- even with the "rust preventative" bags -- as you don't want to have "free" moisture in the bag with a firearm. (I'm also careful about how I pack the firearm to be sure I'm not trapping any moisture.)

I don't use any heavy grease or oil on a firearm that might be called into service immediately.

I've never had any problems with rust starting on items sealed in bags (either the rust-preventive ones or plain plastic ones) -- and that's with the extreme humidity we have here in South Carolina.