In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Slide Stop Problem - Kimber.

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
My 1911 Stainless II Kimber has a problem I cannot figure out. When the slide is in the reward position with the slide stop in the slide stop notch, when I place a magazine in the chamber I can barely depress the slide notch down releasing the slide to the closed position. If I grab the slide and jiggle it I can usually get the slide to close. What is really weird is that I only have this problem using Kimber Mags. When I use one of my S&W Mags I can easily depress the slide stop. I have field stripped the gun and it helped a bit but still hangs up.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hopefully you are putting the mags in the well not the chamber. If it functions fine with S&W mags that is what I'd be using. Perhaps the Kimber's are sightly out of spec. Tuning the gun and mags isn't a black art but you need to know how to deburr with a stone or shoot it a lot/clean. Are you using a lube made for stainless?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that the slide stop is jambing on the follower of the Kimber magazines, i.e. the metal portion of the follower isn't wide enough and jambs the area of the slide stop that is supposed to be actuated by the follower.

As always Charlie has nailed it. Instead of aggravating yourself with the caca Kimber mags, use the S & W's.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another reason why the free Kimber mags for my CDP II is still in their package. Get the Wilson mags and call it a day.

If you wanna do the fix see drag/rb marks on the Kimber and go from there. Is the mag dinged on the areas near the feed lips? A Sharpie on the mags will help see the rub marks unless the mags are black.