In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser extractor questions?

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
Jaegermister:
Reference to the previous just closed thread about Mauser extractor lifting or changing engaugement depth as the extractor is rotated around the bolt.

My M98 does not change or lift as you described.

If yours changes engaugement depth with the case rim as the extractor is rotated around the bolt it would appear to me that the bolt extractor groove groove would have to have a offset depth or the groove could be same depth but offset from the centerline of the bolt. My extractors engaugement stays at the same depth!

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In checking my small ring Mauser 98 bolt in-hand as you described, I find the extractor hook is not a true semi-circle. The mid-point is almost a straight edge. When the bolt is in the locked position the hook presses hard against the groove in the cartridge head. This forces the cartridge rim against the opposite wall of the bolt face and makes a very firm engagement.

Reply added: My opinion is that the pockets at the ends of the groove is a machining hole for the start and stop of cutting the groove. I have never read of a dirt accumulation area in the 98 action. There have been many articles over the years on the 98 Mauser, plus books. Look for old gun magazines.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see , you are correct the hook is not a circle, so rotation would cause a tighter grip.
    Moving the entire head of the cartridge which would be in the chamber at that time, .....Interesting I will look very closely at this and see if I concur. I always thought the shape was to easily allow it to pick up a fresh round from the magazine and engage the rim.I thought I new everything about Mausers but this may be another feature to look at when buying inspecting repairing. I suspect that if this feature was not present it could cause the extractor to be damaged during firing as it would receive a jolt if gripped tight.? I have no Mauser for rimmed cartridge , wonder if same is true? CZ makes one in 22 hornet. The channel at the bolt head that the claw runs in has a drill pocket , do you think this is for debris? Or just a maching feature?
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "The channel at the bolt head that the claw runs in has a drill pocket , do you think this is for debris? Or just a maching feature?".......no, that is there so the 1/2 dove tail cuter can enter the slot. there is a cam (1/2 dove tail) cut into the forward edge of this slot that matches the cam cut into the extractor. this 'grips' the cartridge rim harder as the cartidge is extracted.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Something to clear up here as well. Most original Mausers WILL jump over the rim of the cartridge. That is a specific requirement. They don't do the rim any good but they will get a round in the chamber to fire and have a pretty hefty surface to extract it when it does.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.
    Understanding how precise this claw is positioned I am reluctant to force it over a rimless case, I do know you can pinch the extractor at mid point and this will allow override , and will inquire if owner has done so on any I purchase.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "and will inquire if owner has done so on any I purchase.".........This realy doesn't mater if it has/hasn't been done, the worst case results in a broken extractor 'claw', otherwise no damage done. Some rifles have the extractor altered so the 'override' is easy, this results in less grip on the cartridge but works OK if done right.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "and will inquire if owner has done so on any I purchase.".........This really doesn't mater if it has/hasn't been done, the worst case results in a broken extractor 'claw', otherwise no damage done. Some rifles have the extractor altered so the 'override' is easy, this results in less grip on the cartridge but works OK if done right.

My same thoughts about slightly altering the extractor for easier jump over!

I've altered some rugers extractors that would not extract due to the extract edge being chipped off by grinding little bit off the under ridge of the EXTRACTOR so as it would allow getting little deeper bite on the case rim and not have to buy a new extractor. I've also bought new extractors from ruger and it states they are a gunsmith fitted part. Not just install and go. Even though caliber specific the rugers require grinding usually!
    Have to be very carefully and go by trial and error for dremel grinding operation chambering and extraction.

I left my custom Large ring 243 Mauser as is due to me know how it operates and also being a very accurate High Velocity rifle. (leave well enough alone and it's always been a one shot gun anyway and usually chamber feeds easily)