In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My Ad in Gun Broker

chasgripschasgrips Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
I posted an ad last week in Gunbroker. Auction # 318528234. The reason I placed to sell the Python,was to either sell the gun,or preferably trade for a colt 38 Diamondback. I thought I would ask whether or not I would be opening a "bucket of worms" by listing the gun in this manner? Any help, or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks ,Charlie

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The forum side of GUNBROKER is a FREE way that members can ask questions ETC .However GUN-Broker itself is a BUSINESS they stay in business like any other by making a profit. When you sell an item on this site Gun Broker charges a fee but when you try to trade you get a service but Gunbroker does NOT get their "fair" fee. In my opinion sell outright and buy outright
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One can certainly accept payment in the form of another firearm -- or anything else -- if one likes. GunBroker won't necessarily be missing any fees in such a transaction.

It's fairly simple: A person bids x amount and wins. Gunbroker collects its fees based upon that dollar amount. If you negotiate with the buyer and accept another firearm for all or partial payment -- or accept anything else, like a car, watch, scuba gear, or whatever -- it doesn't change the dollar-amount of the transaction, nor the amount of fees GunBroker collects in the transaction.

So if you find someone with some thing that you want and you can work that thing in as a form of payment worth x-dollar amount, I'd say go ahead and do the deal.

Just understand the potential pitfalls, like: you have to be sure of the condition of the item before accepting it as payment -- which can be difficult to determine in a long-distance transaction using just photos; it's more expensive for a buyer to send an item than money; it's more expensive to "reverse" the transaction if you, or the buyer, are somehow dissatisfied with the trade, etc.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You "could" do it this way, but I think the smarter thing FOR YOU would be to consider two separate transactions:

a. Sell your python.
    b. Locate and purchase your Diamondback.

This way you get fair market value for your gun, and also pay fair market value for the Diamondback.

A trade has certain pitfall, many of which have already been mentioned.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just curious; why would you prefer a Diamondback to a Python? I've owned both, and other than the high polish on the Diamondback it just seemed to be in a totally different ballpark. (And not a better one!)
    I'd keep the Python, myself, but it's your call, obviously.
  • Options
    chasgripschasgrips Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two transactions is the way to go. Thanks .
  • Options
    Joes Custom GunsJoes Custom Guns Member Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Both of you agree on the price of ea. Gun; them both list as a Buy-It- now for each other.

No problem is to big that it can not be worked out between friends.

ea of you will get the Gun that they want and Gunbroker will get their fees.

every one is Happy!
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Gunbroker charges based on the final value. They don't care if you get paid in cash or cattle.