In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 42

highknobhighknob Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited December 2012 in Ask the Experts
What would be a fair price on a Winchester 42, good condition, 410 guage, full choke,serial # 98XXX?

Comments

• highknobhighknob Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would like to talk with a gunsmith that knows Winchester 42's. Any info for that person out there?
    edited November -1
    I'm not a shotgunner can anyone clue me in on the value of A winchester 42-410 pump action serial number in the 70,000's made in New Haven, Conn.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not a real gunsmith but I am a backyard tinckerer, and I do have a model 42.

EDIT:
    what charlie said, I would take it down again and check to make sure the extractor is not binding, and moving all the way back as far as possible. Did you try a live round before you tightened it?? If all seems right with the extractors I would loosen it a bit and try again.
    edited November -1
    Sounds like me, I don't have one to look at either and I'd try and fix it myself id I did. I'm going to tell what I know. I bought this gun from a guy that didn't know anything about it. His uncle had left it to him and the uncle had shot trap with it. The gun looked nice, worked nice, just a tad loose at the take down joint. When I got it home the next couple of days I took it down to adjust the loosness at the joint. I have a couple of Model 12's so I knew how. Well leave it to me, it hadn't been adjusted in it's life and was stuck. When it gave it moved a bunch and I didn't know how much so I adjusted as best I could and it was plenty tight and everything seemed to work fine. Now a few more days later I decide to put some live ammo in it and low and behold it won't chamber a round. It hangs up when the base of the brass starts into the extractors. Front (right) extractor seems to be fine, but the back (left) extractor seems to be something wrong. If you put a shell into the chamber and try to close the bolt on it, it won't lock up. Locks up fine without a round. The extractor appears to be to close to the bolt and seems to not want to pivot back to go over the brass if you put the round in the chamber. Let me know what else i can tell you.

Thanks
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Winchester-33573/Shotguns-42603/42-41816.htm?results=All

Have you tried some other brand of ammo? Back/left extractor could have been bad all along and now that its tight could hault bolt closing on a round.

Could be a piece of shot preventing extractor from piloting over case. Had a lone 7.5 bb lock up the trigger assembly on a M37 Ithaca once.
    edited November -1
    Think I'm going to have to suck it up and see what that left extractor is doing. I've got the book on disassembly, seems straight forward enough. Soon as i get caught up I've giving it a try.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you trying to chamber 2 1/2 or 3 inch shells?

The chamber on those are most likely 2 1/2.

Best
    edited November -1
    No, it says it's 3" chamber, though I have tried the others also and they do no better.