In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help on worth of AMT frame

Subguy322Subguy322 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
My father was a gunsmith and found this among some pistols that we sold. It is a black pistol frame with a serial number. It is I the original box and someone ( I assume my father) wrote 1946 on the box. I can take a picture if you need it. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AMT was founded in 1977, so 1946 is not likely a date. Since you have the original box, I would guess that it would show the model.

The company eventually went bankrupt, so I don't think there are a lot of folks sitting on a parts kit of any model.

The GunBroker auction site has taught me that there are folks out there willing to pay good money for gun parts I thought worthless. But, if it were mine, I'd be happy to get $50 for it. (The buyer would have to pay $60-80 for shipping by UPS or FedEx Next Day Air in addition to the buying price.)

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by us55840
    IF it is an AMT and the frame is black - it would have to be an AMT ON DUTY pistol in either a 9mm or 40 S&W (& maybe .45 ACP) as those were the only calibers the On Duty was produced in from 1991 - 1996.

Also ~ you should be aware that the On Duty model was the only pistol produced by AMT that did NOT have a stainless steel frame.

You can view the AMT On Duty owners manual w/parts breakdown here:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/amt_on_duty.pdf
    [img][/img]IMG_0104.JPG

AMT had a number of name/ownership changes, ie: Arcadia Machine & Tool (AMT), Irwindale Arms Inc. (IAI) and lastly Galena in California and then moved to Sturgis SD.....eventually forced into a bank repossession. Here is the sale billing:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=437733441

Posting a photo would be a big plus to identify.

FYI: High Standard purchased the rights to the name AMT and now produces a few AMT pistols (not the On Duty) at their Texas facility. You can find them on the net at www.highstandard.com

Apparently the AMT's are selling well for High Standard as they are all sold out for 2014.
    [8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [img][/img]IMG_0104.JPG

[:I]how do I post a picture?

FYI: High Standard purchased the rights to the name AMT and now produces a few AMT pistols (not the On Duty) at their Texas facility. You can find them on the net at www.highstandard.com

Apparently the AMT's are selling well for High Standard as they are all sold out for 2014.
    [8D]

[/quote]
    [/quote]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

AMT had a number of name/ownership changes, ie: Arcadia Machine & Tool (AMT), Irwindale Arms Inc. (IAI) and lastly Galena in California and then moved to Sturgis SD.....eventually forced into a bank repossession.

You overlooked, "OMC". My first BackUp was a OMC. Can't ever forget it, as it was a total POS.

Actually all the above companies, were mostly owned by a guy named Harry Sanford, (except Galena, it was incorporated after he passed away in the late 90's). When they went through bankruptcy for various reasons. He would buy up the assets, toolings, parts etc. And go back into business using another name.

EDIT #1,

There was a company named "A & R Sales",( South El Monte, CA ), making aluminum alloy 1911 frames, in Southern CA. This was back in the 70's. They ran into trouble with the feds. The business was sold to another outfit that used the name Ranger. I believe that you have a aluminum alloy 1911 frame sold by Ranger. Probably in the late 70's, early 80's time frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Subguy322
    IF it is an AMT and the frame is black - it would have to be an AMT ON DUTY pistol in either a 9mm or 40 S&W (& maybe .45 ACP) as those were the only calibers the On Duty was produced in from 1991 - 1996.

Also ~ you should be aware that the On Duty model was the only pistol produced by AMT that did NOT have a stainless steel frame.

You can view the AMT On Duty owners manual w/parts breakdown here:
    http://stevespages.com/pdf/amt_on_duty.pdf
    [img][/img]IMG_0104.JPG

AMT had a number of name/ownership changes, ie: Arcadia Machine & Tool (AMT), Irwindale Arms Inc. (IAI) and lastly Galena in California and then moved to Sturgis SD.....eventually forced into a bank repossession. Here is the sale billing:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=437733441

[8D]

I did check out the frame for the on duty and this had a very different shape. It is all black and has a small square impressed on the handle with the words
    R.M.T.
    So El Monte CA
    CAL .22,.38,9mm,.45

Maybe not a frame, prototype? I wish I could figure out how to put a picture up. It also has a serial # R07786