In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 94&92 Trapper

hunter.bhunter.b Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Winchester 94 and 92 Trapper and letters on both but neither letter says anything about barrel length or shipped as a Trapper model. Is this normal or are they fakes. Hunter

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting question, perhaps both are fakes (the letters and the rifles).
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you were to provide, partial serial numbers and barrel lengths. Burt might be able to help you? One way or the other?

EDIT #1,

Cooey never manufactured lever action centerfire rifles, or single action centerfire revolvers. Most all that I have either seen, or were aware of. Were utility grade rimfire rifles, or shotguns of similar quality. Barn guns, would be there best description.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    If they are 1892 - 1906?? vintage, and the letters from Cody don't mention barrel length, then they were originally 24" or 26" (standard) depending on model. Also, measure forearm length for each and post here.
  • Options
    Mod1892Mod1892 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Are you actually referring to a standard saddle ring carbine as a "trapper"? The term was never used by Winchester and originated from the collecting community. If you will post or send me some photos and the serial number of the 1892 I can certainly help you.

Thanks
    Michael
    2bitrifles@gmail.com

Model 1892 / 61 Collector, Research, Valuation
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    If they are 1892 - 1906?? vintage, and the letters from Cody don't mention barrel length, then they were originally 24" or 26" (standard) depending on model. Also, measure forearm length for each and post here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 94 is a 16" and the 92 is a 14" with a BATF letter. Both have short carbine forearms. Both of these guns came from Canada in the 50's but I know a company named Cooey in Ontario was making exact copies of Winchesters and single action Colts for years.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hunter.b
    The 94 is a 16" and the 92 is a 14" with a BATF letter. Both have short carbine forearms. Both of these guns came from Canada in the 50's but I know a company named Cooey in Ontario was making exact copies of Winchesters and single action Colts for years.

And what are the serial number ranges? Can they Cody letter?

I'm not saying that they MUST Cody letter, only asking if they are in the letterable range. For the question asked the 1st logical step is to see if they are in the letterable range.
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many "trapper's" that can't Cody letter have been cleared by BATF and are as good as gold. BATF has cleared '94's in the 1 million range and I'd love to have one. Cody's info is quite limited as you know.
    yooper
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a couple that I got quickly off BATF:

Winchester, Model 1894, caliber .30WCF, S/N 1068223, with 15-inch barrel
    Winchester, Model 1894, caliber .25-35WCF, S/N 809538, with 15-inch barrel

These have both been cleared, and neither would "Cody Letter".

yooper