In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Marlin 1881

BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have an 1881 Marlin 38-55, ser# 16653 with a "double set trigger". I have not been able to find any info on it or find any other gun like it. Can you provide any info? Thanks, Steve

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Hello

I have a Marlin 1881(DOM 1884) that is missing the "elevator" under the rear sight. Any ideas on where to get a old or new replacement or any one know of a gunsmith that could make one?

thanks

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Marlin 1881 in caliber .45-70. It has a 27 inch octagon barrel and is in very excellent, original condition. There is no marking on the barrel as to caliber, nor on the frame. Is this normal for a Marlin like this? It is definitely a .45-70 caliber because I tested a round in the tube feed and loading into the chamber. Berg.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to "Flayderman's Guide", the caliber was marked on top of barrel at the breech.

Also 27" wasn't a normal barrel length. They were in standard even number lengths lengths. Starting at 24".
  • Options
    CJ57CJ57 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you have a 28" barrel, measure from the face of the bolt to the end of the barrel. They were marked 45 Govt on the breach end of barrel on top. It may have been reblued and cal stamp removed.