In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sig p220 mags

WuNgCWuNgC Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
in need of some extra sig p220 mags.

i see the following two sites offer them:

topgunsupply.com 40.00
pro-mag 26.00

topgunsupply version looks like a sig manufactured mag, pricey though.

anyone got a review on the pro-mag version? that price is much easier on my wallet if they function well in a sig p220.

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,004 ******
    edited November -1
    Do you carry this gun for self-defense?

If so, then $14 difference is insignificant, is it not?

ProMag's quality has come up in recent years, but for $14, I believe I would buy the SIG/Sauer mag, probably made by MecGar.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got through buying OEM magazines, for Beretta and Sig pistols. Consider yourself fortunate, if you can get new factory original magazines for $40.

I've found that fleabay, (don't laugh),( under 10 rounds only), and CDNN are among the best sources. You got to be sharp though. Some of the folks on the auctions are outright fibbers. They try to pass off Triple K's, as factory originals.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I sell lots of magazines. Check my auctions. I don't have any for a SIG P220, though.

I do describe my stuff accurately. If it is factory, I state so. If I know the manufacturer, I state so. If not, I call it a generic replacement.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    TopGun is right down the street from me and they only sell top-of-the-line items and are the top "Sig" seller/parts house IMO.

Most semi's malfunction due to magazine issues, so I recommend getting the Sig mags. Nothing against Pro-Mag, and sometimes the OEM mag is not as good as aftermarket, but in this case I'd go with the Sig.

Best of luck in whatever choice you make.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn

ProMag's quality has come up in recent years, but for $14, I believe I would buy the SIG/Sauer mag, probably made by MecGar.

What Nunn said.

They may work OK, but for a few bucks difference, I wouldn't buy Promag (let alone triple K).

$40, by the way, is a perfectly good price for a factory SIG magazine; normally these run $45.

Also, FWIW, here are OEM 8 and 10 rounders for $34. Once you add in shipping and maybe taxes, you'll probably be close to $40, but if you buy a few at once, you can probably average under $40 for them:

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Sig-Sauer-P220-45-ACP-8-Rnd-Magazine-MAG-220-45-8-p/mag-220-45-8.htm

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Sig-Sauer-Magazine-Sig-Sauer-P220-45-ACP-10-Round-p/mag-220-45-10.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by geeguy
    TopGun is right down the street from me and they only sell top-of-the-line items and are the top "Sig" seller/parts house IMO.

Most semi's malfunction due to magazine issues, so I recommend getting the Sig mags. Nothing against Pro-Mag, and sometimes the OEM mag is not as good as aftermarket, but in this case I'd go with the Sig.

Best of luck in whatever choice you make.

i've found that to true in my experiences. going with Sig.
  • Options
    edited November -1

yes, i do carry. wanting a few more mags for go bags i've put together in home and vehicle.

i looked at mec-gar's site and they don't make a sig p220 mag. well, i should say that's what i thought i viewed.

guess i needed reminding saving a few bucks on such a weapon not the best idea as this particular p220 is picky. treated well, its flawless though.

thx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

What Nunn said.

They may work OK, but for a few bucks difference, I wouldn't buy Promag (let alone triple K).

$40, by the way, is a perfectly good price for a factory SIG magazine; normally these run $45.

Also, FWIW, here are OEM 8 and 10 rounders for $34. Once you add in shipping and maybe taxes, you'll probably be close to $40, but if you buy a few at once, you can probably average under $40 for them:

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Sig-Sauer-P220-45-ACP-8-Rnd-Magazine-MAG-220-45-8-p/mag-220-45-8.htm

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Sig-Sauer-Magazine-Sig-Sauer-P220-45-ACP-10-Round-p/mag-220-45-10.htm

appreciate the feedback about pro-mag. i've bought a few in past for a .380. they're decent but one can tell really quick not like the originals.

thanks for the links, i'll try a few from there. i'm going with topgunsupply too via the overwhelming advice to get the Sigs.
  • Options
    edited November -1

i just ordered from topgunsupply and saw at the bottom of the page:

"Magazines for many models from the older Browning BDA to the current production SIG SAUER P220. All of our SIG magazines are direct from the factory in Exeter, NH unless clearly specified otherwise. The exceptions are Act-Mag and Mec-Gar. Mec-Gar is the current Original Equipment Manufacturer for most Sig Sauer production magazines. J.P. Sauer & Sohn does still produce the magazines marked as "made in Germany"."

though it states its manufacturer is Sig Sauer. hoping thats what arrives.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah

What Nunn said.

ammunitiondepot was less expensive in cost but more in shipping but total cost was less. both sites claim these are made by sig.

i'll try em out soon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If yours turns out to be made by MecGar, don't fear. They make "factory" mags for a number of makers, and are top notch. I have MegGars and German-made SIG mags for my P229. All work.