In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Custom 1911 problem

telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
edited August 2014 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a frame/slide and internal parts to a 1911. I bought a brand new mil-spec barrel as well and so far all functions as it should..nice and smooth. Except for one thing.

I know its hard to diagnose without actually looking at it but the problem is this...every so often(not every time)when I release the slide with the slide release..the hammer goes forward to half cock.

This is an in progress thing and I have not actually fired the gun as there are still sights etc. to buy. All of the safeties and trigger work as it should. What is the most likely issue that is causing this so I can fix it? thanks for your time.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware this a dangerous SAFETY issue. Unless someone knows how each part in the firing system works you can have a pistol that will go fully auto. Many people will try to improve the trigger pull and end up with UNSAFE pistol. The Hammer /sear /3 leaf spring must all work together. if no one has DINKED with the hammer or sear then I suspect the three leaf spring needs to have more pressure on the sear or trigger bow.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by telohf
    I recently bought a frame/slide and internal parts to a 1911. I bought a brand new mil-spec barrel as well and so far all functions as it should..nice and smooth. Except for one thing.

I know its hard to diagnose without actually looking at it but the problem is this...every so often(not every time)when I release the slide with the slide release..the hammer goes forward to half cock.

This is an in progress thing and I have not actually fired the gun as there are still sights etc. to buy. All of the safeties and trigger work as it should. What is the most likely issue that is causing this so I can fix it? thanks for your time.

Were the "internal parts" new, or had they been salvaged from another pistol?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back when I was a 1911 guy, I was given a simple jig. A steel plate with 2 pins of the correct size and distance apart to hold the sear and hammer in the proper position so I could see their fit/engagement. A proper stone is a better "adjuster" than a file.

Continually slamming the action shut with a extra power spring on an empty gun can be harmful.

When you get around to shooting it, start with 2 rounds in the magazine to check the function, then three as fast as you can fire them. My choice would be at an outside range.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The short answer is, don't slam the slide shut on an empty chamber.
    Anything less than a GI 5-7 lb trigger pull can be damaged by it.
    Either yours has, or is misfit, or the sear spring does not have enough tension.
  • Options
    telohftelohf Member Posts: 913 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forge, I am using a solid metal trigger. All of the internals except for a couple from Brownells came from another gun that I am putting into an older Colt frame.