In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

flash hidder for a S & W 15/22

harley99bharley99b Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a prom.center S & W 15/22 and would like to buy a flash hider?Anyone know if I can? It has a threaded bbl but with a cap on it? Thanks MIKE BOULCH

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If none of our folks, can help you. You might consider posting to the site at this link.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=305
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may depend on where you live. Some states restrict the use of "military" type parts - The People's Republic of the Left Coast comes to mind - so you may not be legal if you put one on. If there is no legal restriction where you live go ahead. I like the "Vortex" and the "Phantom" series.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by harley99b
    I have a prom.center S & W 15/22 and would like to buy a flash hider?Anyone know if I can? It has a threaded bbl but with a cap on it? Thanks MIKE BOULCH

Well, to be clear, .22LR from a rifle offers no significant muzzle flash to begin with. So a flash hider ("suppressor"/whatever you want to call it) isn't really going to do much for you, other than APPEARANCE.

Assuming you want one for APPEARANCE, sure, assuming its legal in your jurisdiction, of course you can buy one and put it on your gun
    . . .that's the whole point of a threaded barrel to begin with.

Muzzle brake, flash hider, or suppressor; these will all just screw on. Assuming its factory threaded, your Smith 15-22 should have the standard 1/2"x28 threads, so any "normal" AR-15 muzzle device should fit. Edit: I checked with Smith, and yes, the factory threaded 15-22s do have this standard thread pitch.

Depending on what exactly you're putting on there, you may need to do some tricks to "time" the attachment, so it screws on solidly with the holes in the right direction, but that's a separate issue. Obviously, you need to unscrew the thread protector before you can screw something else on there.

EDIT: Again, assuming you just want this for appearance, a cheapo but perfectly nice looking (and potentially functional) AR-15 flash hider can be had for under $10. You can go nuts with fancy multiprong ones that really kill flash (or would on a centerfire rifle), have teeth on the ends (in case you want to stab someone/thing with your gun barrel. . .seriously!), etc, but again, not sure these things are worthwhile for "just" a .22. If you did want to hang something like this off your gun, I think a compensator/muzzle brake is probably more worthwhile. Suppressor is even better yet, but now you're talking significant expense and paperwork.

If you are in a jurisdiction that restricts flash suppressors, but you want one anyway for appearance, FAKE flash suppressors are available that give you the look of one, but offer no actual flash suppressing function, and these should be legal. (Though again, its not like there is any flash to suppress with a .22LR anyway).

Lastly even if you are in a jurisdiction that restricts threaded muzzles AND flash suppressors, there is still a way to get around that if you're interested solely in appearance. You'd have to get a fake suppressor, then have it pinned or pinned and welded onto the barrel. So that would effectively create a permanently attached barrel extension, which should be legal everywhere.