In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

cost of beratta 32

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
any one know why a beratta tom cat 32 ss cost 550$

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that Range is referring to the Inox version, which is actually selling at over $550. I don't know if the high price reflects collectability, or maybe it's because the tip up barrel helps those folks who don't have the strength to work the slide on other pocket autos.

I wanted a Tomcat until I held one; it's too large, too heavy, & too wide for a .32. There are several .380's, & even 9mm's, that are more compact & cost a lot less.

Neal
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by range
    any one know why a beratta tom cat 32 ss cost 550$

Answer is supply and demand (same as every other item for sale on the planet!).

But to address this, yes, one would expect a "pocket" pistol to cost less than a full sized service pistol. So, no, you're not crazy for thinking $550 for this is a bit high.

Still if you check the COMPLETED AUCTIONS listing, Stainless ("inox") Beretta Tomcats have sold recently from a low of $325 to a high of $660.

So if you really want one, and can wait a little while in bidding online, and if you would be satisfied with a used one (which I would be. . .if you shoot it once its "used") instead of a brand new one, you can do a lot better.

quote:Nmeyers
    I wanted a Tomcat until I held one; it's too large, too heavy, & too wide for a .32. There are several .380's, & even 9mm's, that are more compact & cost a lot less.
    I agree, and I'd go so far as to say that for these reasons, the modern crop of small .380s make .32ACP guns mostly obsolete now.

One other potential draw back to the Tomcat is that it uses a "blowout" type ejection system with no extractor. The problem is that if you get a misfire or stuck cartridge, you can't just rack the slide to load a new round, you have to manually open up the gun and extract the cartridge in the tube first.

I can see why someone with poor hand strength might be interested in a "tip up" system pocket gun, but I think an alloy frame revolver overcomes that issue in a gun of similar weight, lower cost, higher reliability, only a little bit more size, and potentially quite a bit more power. Reduced power loads are possible with a revolver; but increased power ones not possible with a .32ACP.
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because it's small doesn't mean it's cheap.

The fit and finish on mine (actually my wife's) is very good. They seem to be very well made pistols.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cce1302
    Just because it's small doesn't mean it's cheap.

The fit and finish on mine (actually my wife's) is very good. They seem to be very well made pistols.

This is true.

As comparison, Seecamps .32s are also fairly pricey, running at around $550, the same as this Beretta. Rohrbaugh 9mm is also tiny, but costs about $1000. Both of these are well-designed, specialty, all metal pocket pistols that are built in limited quantity, and cost as much (or more) than many full sized service pistols.

Again, cost comes down to supply (itself partly limited to production cost and difficult) and demand. Assuming a demand, low supply creates high prices.

But the converse is also true, just because a gun is expensive, doesn't necessarily mean that the price/value proposition is good. Sometimes you're paying for a name, sometimes you're paying for features that may not make a functional difference.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an INOX Tomcat, and sold it, as it was unreliable...with any ammo I tried. I have decided that any pistol without an extractor is not to be trusted...especially for defense carry.

Best