In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Ruger P95

royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Looking at purchasing a Ruger P95 (stainless top Polymer bottom). I have a Ruger p89dc stainless and it is a fine weapon for the money. Can anyone tell me the good, bad, and the ugly about a P95 and if its worth getting (340.00 or less).

Comments

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one for years. Regret selling it. Ate anything and everything I fed it. Super simple to take down to clean. Was accurate. The only con to them is they aren't all that elegant but they function and that's what matters. $340 is a tad high unless the gun is coming with extras like ammo or mags because you can buy SR9's for not much more than that. Btw don't use those crappy Pro Mags..buy factory Ruger mags.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger changed the grip texture -- the later models were better -- but the early models can be a little "slippery" when wet. (I'm in South Carolina; we have a lot of hot, humid weather, so sweaty hands when shooting is common.)

I already have a few Ruger P-series, if I were to get another one, I'd go with an aluminum alloy frame over the polymer. For $340 you can probably get another LNIB P89 -- if you got the same, you'd have complete interchangeability of parts ("just in case").
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Ruger KP95DC is my choice of carry pistol-that would indicate how much trust I have in it. The older "slick grip" models can be improved by adding "traction tape" to the front strap.
    The P95 is a solid gun that will last a lifetime. Some feel it's too big but it works for me.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by royc38
    Looking at purchasing a Ruger P95 (stainless top Polymer bottom). I have a Ruger p89dc stainless and it is a fine weapon for the money. Can anyone tell me the good, bad, and the ugly about a P95 and if its worth getting (340.00 or less).

I think you got your answer:

Gun isn't going to win any awards for appearance, but its highly reliable, super-tough, and was designed specifically to run well with a wide variety of ammo. Ruger is also based in the USA, offers good customer service, and isn't going anywhere. The design here is also time-proven.

Bang/buck here is high, and I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy or carry one of these, if I otherwise liked it.

On price, these guns have never been all that desirable. . .not necessarily the fault of the gun, just Ruger isn't really known for centerfire semi-autos and the field is pretty crowded. Consequently, you can probably find a good deal on a used one if you look around. EG, used ones in good condition seem to be selling on the auction site for around $260, give or take.

On "grippiness", that depends on the interaction of the gun with your individual anatomy and other conditions. If the gun isn't grippy enough for you, there a several things you can do about it.

The above-mentioned skateboard/grip tape is cheap, easy, and reversible. An aftermarket grip sleeve is another option. Lastly (if you dare!), you can stipple the smooth surfaces on the polymer grip using a soldering iron or other tool. You can "Google" how to do this, and there are You-Tube videos.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good guns, some of the early ones had poorly cut feed ramps that would cause issues. The optimum P95's have two separate cuts on the feed ramp, they'll run flawlessly
  • Options
    royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the responses guys, I have been bidding on a few and staying within the proper price range. Hope to have one soon.