In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shipping Ammunition to New York

TheBrassManTheBrassMan Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just want clarification.
Isn't the law in New York State, that all ammunition transactions
are to go through an FFL Dealer?

Thank you for your response.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can ammunition be shipped to a private party in New York, or must it go through a dealer?
    Thanks for the input, did not want to stir the pot but was not able to figure it out on my own.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    No. All ammunition sales are to go thru a licensed ammunition seller, not necessarily a FFL. A background check is required for the buyer; the background check system is not yet active.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is the reason I asked this.
    I got a message sent to me on GB by someone.

quote:you can legally ship to any New Yorker outside of NY city. There are no current laws against that.

That is the message we received.
    I thought that was not right. So I came here and asked.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: . . .A background check is required for the buyer; the background check system is not yet active.

Didn't they make a movie about that? It was called "Catch 22"
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheechako, is exactly right. So is MG 1890. While there is a law in place that ammunition will be sold thru approved ammunition dealer's, and a background check is required, they have not got the background check in place yet.

That is part of the NY SAFE ACT, which will hopefully go away after November. It pretty much is the same with the renewable every 5 years pistol permit system...nothing in place. About the only things they have in place is their idiotized definition of an assault rifle, that can be side stepped by simply pinning the magazine in, and the magazine limit. The magazine limit is BS, as you can have a 10 round magazine, but you can only load it with 7. Very arbitrary, just like their definition of an assault weapon, that can only have one feature.

Best
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Whoever sent you that message is either ignorant of the law or is trying to circumvent it. As of 1/15/14, ammo could only be sold through a licensed NY State ammo dealer.

Read this regarding ammo NY State sales: http://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/default/files/documents/nysafeact/OpenLetterfromNewYorkStatePoliceSuperintendent.pdf
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your help.
    Here is the response I got from this jerk after emailing him and telling
    him all ammunition sales have to go through a licensed ammunition dealer.

quote:no...you are WRONG...I can send site of informed vendors who d send ammo to non FFL people...just like it has been...Cuomo has SUSPPENDED the background checks. If you care for other vendors to verify..just ask

I guess I will copy the link that Spider7115 posted and email to this idiot.
    He seems to be trying to circumvent the law. Also his so called vendors do not know the law.
    I never even mentioned an FFL License holder.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The folks at AIM Surplus do a thorough job of researching state laws for both firearms & ammo. Their take on NYS shipments is:

"NEW YORK CUSTOMERS: No consumer sales of ammunition. We ship ammunition orders only to FFL Dealers or NY State licensed re-sellers of ammunition ."

But, that begs the question: Since the "resellers of ammunition" provision hasn't been set up yet, does that effectively prevent NYS residents from buying ANY ammo?

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This guy is a pain in the *.
    Here is his response to the link Spider7115 has.

quote:yes..that's written but SUSPEDED...... I buy ammo anywhere in NY or from vendors who are current anytime. I'm not a cop trying a sting thing. Contact Erie County Sherriff Tim Howard...top Sherriff....he confirm what I'm saying

He can't spell certain words. But I will not believe him at all.
    I would rather be safe and stay out of prison, then sell this guy something and lose my freedom.

He only has 7 feedback. The sellers he has purchased from on the site, only one had a disclaimer
    about not being able to ship to certain areas.

In my opinion even though he denies it, screams of a LEO trying to make a name for himself.
    Nothing against the LEOs on the forum. You guys really a pretty honest about things.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TheBrassMan
    This guy is a pain in the *.
    Here is his response to the link Spider7115 has.

quote:yes..that's written but SUSPEDED...... I buy ammo anywhere in NY or from vendors who are current anytime. I'm not a cop trying a sting thing. Contact Erie County Sherriff Tim Howard...top Sherriff....he confirm what I'm saying

He can't spell certain words. But I will not believe him at all.
    I would rather be safe and stay out of prison, then sell this guy something and lose my freedom.

He only has 7 feedback. The sellers he has purchased from on the site, only one had a disclaimer
    about not being able to ship to certain areas.

In my opinion even though he denies it, screams of a LEO trying to make a name for himself.
    Nothing against the LEOs on the forum. You guys really a pretty honest about things.

A wise move on your part. He could be a LEO or anti-gunner setting you up.

The background check has not been "suspended"; it's only been postponed while they figure out how to administer and fund it. However, the requirement that ammo can only be sold through a licensed ammo dealer is in full effect. I recently bought some ammo on GunBroker and had it shipped in my name to my local dealer. He simply handed it to me when it arrived with no paperwork required.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Spider7115.
    I am just going to ignore this person.
    He isn't worth my time to argue with.