In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W .38 Target Revolver, Part Deux.

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
So, I'll buy a model 14 6". What do you fellas suggest for alteration level? Should I stay with a "-3" or earlier, "-4", what?

Also, I see these 14's with standard grips and oversized target grips. I prefer the larger grips. Can I put the factory oversize target grips on a revolver that originally came with the standard size grips?

Sorry, although I love me a nice S&W revolver, I am a neophyte about the particulars. I have a 29-5, 8-3/8", never fired it.

Comments

• Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can interchange grips with the Model 14. Both standard and oversized grips will fit.

The oversize "Target" grips on the K-frames are great for one handed competition shooting. I prefer Pachmayr grips for general use with K-frames. Hogue monogrips are great also.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Grips can be changed NO PROBLEM as to a -3 or -4 you as a shooter it does not matter as much as the pistol itself . I have a large # of target pistols unless I know the original owner and scores he shot with the pistol .I normally don't buy without a trial period with testing in my Ransom rest. Most likely many sellers don't allow you to shoot first buy later but ask people like " BPOST" send him a PM here and ask about used target pistols.
  • Options
    45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the grips. For off-the-rack preference, Zinder and I differ. As I find Hogues a better fit for my hand and of softer rubber compound make recoil in a S&W K-frame .38 Special most negligble. And help better tame the larger/hotter calibers. Hogue's are on all my wheel guns.

The Pach's, (unless changed their formula from 15 or 20 years ago?), are of a harder rubber, slipperier, almost a no-cushion give plastic feel to them. But that's all just my spin from experience what I do and do not like about the two makers.

Go hog wild, and there are custom grip makers out there, too, with all the exotic woods and shapes.

EDITTotally understand about grips being personal choice as to, fit, feel, etc. "Just my spin" is for the more info gathered before purchase, the better. That "other" major brand I do not care for, I wish had chance to examine out of the plastic packaging or would not have wasted time/money on them from the get go.

45er
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 14 is a good "out-of-the-box" basic target revolver. Many if not most of the competitive center-fire shooters have their pistols modified for purpose by a competent pistol-smith who specializes in the form of target shooting you are going to undertake, i.e. Camp Perry, Practical Revolver, etc. The grips are where you connect to the revolver and are a personal choice. Any grip that will fit a S&W "K" or "L" frame will fit a 14 - given the same butt configuration round or square. I like the Hoque "Monogrips" on my M-66 6" and had the same on my M-19 6" that I shot PPC with. An alternative is to obtain any decent condition "K" or "L" frame and have it modified to the standards of competition in the type of shooting you are going to take up. That big .44 is an impressive piece, but probably not what you would use for the purposes the M-14 is intended for. It can be loaded down with target level loads - wadcutter or semi-wadcutter and deliver impressive accuracy and mild recoil.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    So, I'll buy a model 14 6". What do you fellas suggest for alteration level? Should I stay with a "-3" or earlier, "-4", what?
    All else being equal, earlier is considered more desirable, but any of these will be good. If you intend to shoot it a lot, I'd be more concerned about finding a good revolver for a reasonable price, than which "dash" it is. EG, I'd take a nice -4 over a beat up -3.

quote:Also, I see these 14's with standard grips and oversized target grips. I prefer the larger grips. Can I put the factory oversize target grips on a revolver that originally came with the standard size grips? Grips are not an issue at all.

You can put any grips for any medium/K frame revolver on any model 14, including factory target grips, or any other target grips you like.

K frame revolver grips also happen to be the most popular revolver grips out there, making them relatively easy to find in a wide variety of configurations.

As to WHICH grips, I'm not going to jump into this "debate". As it is, right now I have individual K-frame guns with Hogue grips, Pachmayr, factory regular, and factory target grips on them! Its different grips for different guns for different purposes. This is mostly a matter of personal preference, and I'd say most of it comes down to how YOUR PARTICULAR anatomy interacts with the grips in question! Rubber has certain advantages, but so does wood. Also, needless to say, the bigger manufacturers offer different styles of grips. Its up to you to try different ones to determine what you like. I'd just add that what's optimal for pure target use probably is *NOT* optimal for combat.

Edit: Just as food for thought, there are MANY other makers of nice grips for Smith K frame revolvers than the big name makers above. Again, next to 1911s, K-frames are probably the most popular/varied aftermarket grips out there. If you want a set it mostly comes down to what wood and style you want, and how much you want to pay.

For solid wood, check out: Karl Nill (super expensive German imports, but a good match of function with appearance), Eagle grips, Altamont grips, Ahrends. Craig Spegel is known for combat type wood grips, though he has others (and you may have to wait a while for them!). Ajax has nice wood and other materials. VZ and Badger grips have nice laminates (if you're into that sort of thing). Smith itself has a bunch of grips on its website, those are probably worth a look.

If you're super-serious about target revolver, I'd look for something like these Karl Nill match grips, though make sure you're sitting down when you get the price quote:

DSCN1638.jpg

quote:Sorry, although I love me a nice S&W revolver, I am a neophyte about the particulars. I have a 29-5, 8-3/8", never fired it.
    You wouldn't be the only one to buy one of those and not fire it.
  • Options
    TriumphGuyTriumphGuy Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really want to see what a beautiful revolver can look like find a set of old S&W target rosewood grips. They haven't been made in years, but could be had for a price. They are smooth, just what you want for mild kicking .38 special wadcutters. My M-14 with those rosewood grips, TT and TH is the best shooting gun I have ever owned. It is an old one, pre-Bangor Punta, -2 I think, with a pinned barrel, unnecessary but classy. I put the grips, trigger and hammer on the gun back when you could buy that stuff off the shelf for very little $. Smith put a lot of care into the wood selection. The grain lines match in perfect chevrons on the butt. That little beauty is like a laser pointer, click and a hold appears in the 10-ring. The only fault I could imagine is that the barrel may not be heavy and forward weighted enough for some, but I like 'em light, matched to target loads.