In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1841 Mississippi rifle question

yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anybody know what the correct thread pitch would be for the nipple on this rifle, and where I could get one?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I don't know, but know who I can ask... but the real question is, original or repro? And if repro, made by whom?
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's the 1841 made for the Confederates in Holly Springs, Mississippi, it's probably going to be very difficult to come by.
    What's next?
  • Options
    yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's an original E.Whitney 1851 dated rifle.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might contact Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf.
    They carry a lot of different nipples, maybe somebody there knows what a real period rifle takes.
    The print Dixie catalog might have the information in its reference section.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be possible to use cerrosafe to get a cast of the threads or perhaps a 2 part epoxy putty with a good release agent in the threaded zone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1841_Mississippi_rifle

My 1976 copy of the Dixie catalog has a nipple listed in the parts (no description of threads) for 1841 U.S. Rifle often called the Mississippi .54 caliber.
  • Options
    firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 1816 Springfield and my 1816 Harpers Ferry, both converted to percussion, my 1842 and my 1861 (all originals) all use a 5/16 X 24 musket nipple. Although there are some subtle differences in styles - and they were called "cones" back in the day - the threads are all identical. I'd bet a dollar that your 1841 uses the same thread. Nipples/cones can be had from Track of The Wolf, Dixie, Lodgewood, just to name a few places.