In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1886 in 40-65 value

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Going to look at it for an investment to turn within 30 days on the auction side. Told it has heavy target barrel?, never refinished, shoots well and has been in the family for 100 years or more.

I know pictures are priceless but I have none now so I need to deal with it the best I can to gain knowledge.

If it LOOKS clean, no rust, worn patina No busted wood, mucked up screws, holes drilled in the barrel for a scope ect. ect is it worth the $1,200 bucks it will cost me to take a chance to turn it for a profit?

What should I look for to INCREASE value?

What should I look for that DECREASES VALUE?

I thank you in advance for your wisdom and experience.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Bruce I tried to call you and left a Message with my Phone #
    Model 1886 are sort after but is it worth $1200.00 [?]. A lot would depend on who had it for sale and how long they have owned it. . My point is most of these guns have changed hand many times. Each time they do so they are subject to that owner wanting to enhance the guns value and what might look original has been dinked with . bottom line I would much rather get one that has been IN THE FAMILY for many years
    then one that has changed hands at gunshows /dealers stores ETC. Pictures are a must but I realize getting pictures like those that Kasey takes is hard to do before you actually own the item .
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello Bruce I tried to call you and left a Message with my Phone #
    Model 1886 are sort after but is it worth $1200.00 [?]. A lot would depend on who had it for sale and how long they have owned it. . My point is most of these guns have changed hand many times. Each time they do so they are subject to that owner wanting to enhance the guns value and what might look original has been dinked with . bottom line I would much rather get one that has been IN THE FAMILY for many years
    then one that has changed hands at gunshows /dealers stores ETC. Pictures are a must but I realize getting pictures like those that Kasey takes is hard to do before you actually own the item .

The guy got it from his grandfather who got it in the early 1900's; he pawned it to get cash for Christmas. I can get it out of the pawn shop for him for 1200 bucks. There is no way he will get the cash together to get it back in 30 more days so I told him it would be sold on day 31. He agreed to that.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aside from what perryshooter said, including the alteration and functionality bit, the bore's condition, and then the external condition for any remaining blue of any quality. If it truly is an all original heavy barrel that would be a huge plus at that price, I'd think.
    What's next?
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to the forum so my comments may not carry much weight, but it is hard to imagine any Win 1886 that "shoots well" not being worth more than $1200, unless it's rusty or has that dark rust patina. But here are some other thoughts to answer the specific questions you posed....

Do you know the serial number range? According to a reference I have, 1886 frames were color case hardened until about s/n 90000 for takedowns, s/n 122000 for non-takedowns. Frames were blued on later guns. CCH turns a silver color when it fades but still brings a premium.

Octagon and half octagon barrels are favored over round barrels. The heavy barrel or any other special order feature would generally bring a premium (checkering, pistol grip stock, special sights, shotgun butt instead of crescent). Larger and rarer calibers bring a premium but I don't think 40-65 is either. As someone else mentioned, originality and not being messed with is important. Generally, an '86 rifle should have a 26" barrel. Longer barrels are coveted as are factory shorter barrels. A shortened barrel is a significant detraction, and many were cut off. One book I have indicates a standard takedown is valued less than others.

But, and here's the big "but," as with all such guns, condition will probably be much more important than any of the above. If it is unaltered and not dark brown, I don't think you can go wrong for that price. Even if the bore is shot out a reline would maker it a good shooter. Those actions were extremely strong and well made, few failed. The upside is hard to discuss without more info.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldWinchesterfan
    I'm new to the forum so my comments may not carry much weight, but it is hard to imagine any Win 1886 that "shoots well" not being worth more than $1200, unless it's rusty or has that dark rust patina. But here are some other thoughts to answer the specific questions you posed....

Do you know the serial number range? According to a reference I have, 1886 frames were color case hardened until about s/n 90000 for takedowns, s/n 122000 for non-takedowns. Frames were blued on later guns. CCH turns a silver color when it fades but still brings a premium.

Octagon and half octagon barrels are favored over round barrels. The heavy barrel or any other special order feature would generally bring a premium (checkering, pistol grip stock, special sights, shotgun butt instead of crescent). Larger and rarer calibers bring a premium but I don't think 40-65 is either. As someone else mentioned, originality and not being messed with is important. Generally, an '86 rifle should have a 26" barrel. Longer barrels are coveted as are factory shorter barrels. A shortened barrel is a significant detraction, and many were cut off. One book I have indicates a standard takedown is valued less than others.

But, and here's the big "but," as with all such guns, condition will probably be much more important than any of the above. If it is unaltered and not dark brown, I don't think you can go wrong for that price. Even if the bore is shot out a reline would maker it a good shooter. Those actions were extremely strong and well made, few failed. The upside is hard to discuss without more info.

Hope this helps.

Over on this side of the hallway we are only interested in what you know about guns, and not how long you've been a member. Never feel shy about making a contribution in Ask The Experts.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bruce,

Any Model 1886 that is still original (unaltered) and in shootable condition is worth more than $1200. The 40-65 WCF caliber is not one that adds any premium to the value.

The serial number is important, as it will determine if it is "Antique" or "Modern". The cut-off number is 118646.

In regards to case color versus blued, all Take Down Model 1886 Rifles (regardless of when they were made) were blued. The standard Rifles, Carbines, and Muskets were case colored until August of 1901 (circa serial number 124000).

Very few Model 1886 rifles were actually made with "heavy" or "extra heavy" barrels. The standard barrels were quite large as compared to most other Models, and a lot of people mistakenly believe that they have a "heavy" barrel when in fact it is standard. A true "heavy" barrel must be noted on a factory letter. If you buy the rifle, I strongly suggest getting a factory letter for it before listing it for sale.