In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Luger Pistol

timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1920 DWM 9mm Luger with an 8 inch barrel. All numbers on the pistol match but I couldn't find a number on the barrel. Was this pistol manufactured with an 8 inch barrel? What is the value of the pistol?

Comments

• timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Looking at a Luger pistol. What is meant by "straw"? Seller on the auction side refers to a pistol he is selling having "about 50% of straw remaining." What does that mean?
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the color of the heat treatment.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Certain parts, like the trigger, the ejector, and the safety weren't blued like the rest of the pistol. Those are where you find the "straw" color and are an idication the pistol hasn't been refinished.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certain small parts that were heat treated, when quenched had a white/gold finish. This finish on these small parts, is known to collectors as a "Straw" finish. It tends to be fragile. Abrasion, corrosion etc. Causes it to deteriorate.

Its common for the folks who restore Lugers. To polish these parts to a bright finish. Then heat them up in a oven or with a torch. To duplicate the original white/gold, "Straw" finish.
  • timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellas. As ever, I appreciate all the help.
  • utvolsutvols Member Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timbroman
    Thanks fellas. As ever, I appreciate all the help.

I believe that the straw parts are trigger, extractor, safe lever and takrdown lever. Mauser mfg did this thru mid 1937. Kreighoff I believe continued strawing parts. Who is the manufacturer and the date?

Back when they were just guns, these parts got reblued, not strawed. Orig straw is desirable.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm certainly not a luger expert, but weren't the late ww2 lurgers all blue.
  • utvolsutvols Member Posts: 112 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I'm certainly not a luger expert, but weren't the late ww2 lurgers all blue.

True for Mauser made lugers (late 37 and on). Exception is the Kriegs. They continued doing the straw process. Kriegs demand a premium as they are rare (about 13000 total), they are of superior quality, and most were made for the Luftwaffe.

The run of the mill luger war trophy will be all blue Mauser made gun.