In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith/Wesson

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Got this in a trade,Says highway Patrolman-(no model
but the frame and cylinder carry the same ser #S 112170
Thank you

[img][/img]CBqZDn.jpg

https://imageshack.com/i/p5CBqZDnj

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The S&W Highway Patrolman is a utilitarian version of the "N" frame Model 27. It carries the designation "Model 28" in post-mid-50s number sequence. It was/is offered in two barrel lengths, 4" and 6". It does not have the high polish finish of the M-27 or the fine checkering on the top strap and barrel rib. They are strong reliable pistols. I believe the "S" serial series was earlier in the production life of the model later versions would carry the "N" prefix. They were furnished with the S&W Magna grips, someone has put "N" frame target grips on yours.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much are they worth as i' gonna sell this
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    The S&W Highway Patrolman is a utilitarian version of the "N" frame Model 27. It carries the designation "Model 28" in post-mid-50s number sequence. It was/is offered in two barrel lengths, 4" and 6". It does not have the high polish finish of the M-27 or the fine checkering on the top strap and barrel rib. They are strong reliable pistols. I believe the "S" serial series was earlier in the production life of the model later versions would carry the "N" prefix. They were furnished with the S&W Magna grips, someone has put "N" frame target grips on yours.

That are S&W stocks, aftermarket [xx(]
    Hurts the value [B)]
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $450-$500 for a quick sale.
    $600-$700 if you just want to wait out for someone who is willing to fork over that $ for a Model 28 with the wrong stocks. The Model 28 is a good gun, just not as sought after as the Model 27.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That serial number makes it 1954 -1955.First year production for the Highway patrolman was 1954 with around 8400 Made think yours is a early 1955. Target stocks were a option yours are not the correct ones
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Highway Patrolman Model 28 has a good following these days. Probably because the .357 Magnum Model 27 has gotten so expensive.

A "pre 28" will draw a good deal of interest even with off brand stocks. Good luck.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Being a '5 screw', it will get attention no matter which model.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but "diamond service stocks" would be the factory issue on this, yes?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've decided not to get rid of it.
    I've never had a 5 screw and the action
    is very smooth