In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Brand of 1911

Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking of getting a .45 APC 1911. Which brand would be the best and the worsts? If possible list 1911 brands from worst to best. Thanks

Edit: Something I could keep in door of my truck for defense

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you looking for a target gun or defense pistol. Really accurate target ones are not often the best choice for rolling about in the dirt defense pistols.

added I'd vote for a stainless steel one that isn't an AMT. Google lists Kimber, Springfield-armory, Ruger, Sig, Les Baer, and others.

Next criteria is how much do you want to spend?

added2 You should look for a good used one in that price range.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=637474

But, personally, I would never keep a gun in the car unless it was locked in a steel box.

Neal
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We could narrow that list down a bit if you gave a price range. Because 1911's run $300 on the low end all the way up past $3000. Personally I would never leave a gun in the truck. Too easy for criminals to get. If you HAD to leave it in I would just buy a Rock Island base model gun. If it gets stolen it won't be as bad as losing a high dollar gun.
    In order from highest price & what I would personally buy if in the market for a .45 acp 1911.

Wilson Combat
    Les Baer
    Colt
    Kimber
    SIG Sauer
    Ruger
    Kahr
    Rock Island

The only 1911 I currently own is a Llama in 9mm that I paid $157 for at a gun show. Works great with fmj ammo and is in the bargain basement price range but mine runs 100%.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a quality mid-priced, Made in the USA stainless 1911.

S & W makes a nice full sized one you can probably get new for under $ 1,000.

For about the same price, you can get a Kimber stainless Ultra-Carry or Pro-Carry.

Kimber's full size should be about the same, but I can't find a reference at the moment.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Well this is akin to asking what brand of AUTO you should buy.
    a number of things come in Play.
    #1 What is the intended USE [?]
    #2 What is the price range you intend to purchase [?]
    #3 are you looking for a brand that will most likely slowly loose
    Value [?] Stay about the same [?] or stand a good chance
    to become more valuable [?]
    #4 do you plan on modifying the gun or leave it the way you buy it [?]
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a few 1911's. A Colt Series 70 Nat.Match Gold Cup, NIB, A gold Cup Trophy, 3 Para Ord, one 14/45 limiteds, an Elite, and an Elite hunter long slide 10mm, and 3 Wilson's.

The Para's will run with the Wilsons, but are not quite as smooth, or purdy. The NIB Nat.Match...who knows...it has not been fired outside of the factory.

If you go budget, don't go les than Para.

Best

Don...I like that in your signature line...very true...can I borrow it?
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'm gonna go ahead and step in it...
    If you want a beater gun to bang around in the truck, why go with a 1911? Why not a Glock or other similar weapon?
  • bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    Probably a better question for GD than ATE.

Unfortunately, I have had two handguns stolen in my life. One was worth $400 and the other was worth $900. Setting all other considerations aside, the $400 loss hurt less.

So for your purposes, I would suggest reliability first, low cost second, and accuracy third. And a 1911, while beautiful and fun, would not be my first choice for a gun to leave in a truck. Nor would .45 APC be my first choice for calibre.

So, my recommendations for your proposed use would be:

Rock island
    Remington
    (You won't miss them as much if stolen. And with the proper ammo, are reliable)
    Para
    SIG

I'd avoid Colt and Taurus for good, but opposite reasons.
  • Dr.NippsDr.Nipps Member Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a price range I would have to put a limit of no more than $800. Not looking to get a super fancy one, but one with good reputation, good range reports, and one that I wouldn't mind if it got a little beat up over time. Not to concerned about it holding its value so long as it stays operational when properly maintained. For choosing 1911, I know of several former and current police officers in my area that keep one in there door and thought I would follow suit.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Para Expert because of the good frame-to-slide and barrel-to-slide fit, took it completely apart, and fitted all the parts along with a ramp job and a set of Hogue grips. Gun drives tacks, is 110% reliable, and I'm into it under $700. Being a proficient gunsmith, I tend to look at all guns nowadays as a "parts kit" though [:D]