In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weird Colt 1911 .22 Conversion

MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Colt marked slide, frame had a 6 digit serial number, no letters, no other markings. Very nicely made and blued finish, nothing buffed off from the frame, just never had a manufacturer marking. Serial number was like 200356.

Possible Colt lunchbox gun?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Possible photos?

Neal

EDIT: GCA68 does not require that the SN identify the manufacturer, although Ruger uses it to identify the model. It's easy to swap parts on a 1911-type gun, & often there is no way to identify the maker of the slide. It would have been interesting to ask the seller what manufacturer's name he entered in his bound book. Odds are, it was made by Armscor of the Philippines.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Commercial Colts in that SN range. Would have had a "C" prefix in the SN.

So many clones have been made in the last 40 years. No telling who/where, it was made?

If the manufacturers markings are on the slide of a clone. I don't believe there are any requirements, for anything other than the SN to be on the frame.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    Possible photos?

Neal

No, it was at the show.... For $600 I could have gotten photo's, didn't care for the unnamed frame. Sorry.

Edit: I think it must have been a pre 1968 frame, otherwise the GCA of 68 would have dictated a letter to identify the manufacturer in the serial number..
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    PRE WW II colt 38supers frames Just had numbers no letters But they did have the VP mark on trigger guard bow. I have a 1918 lunch box built Colt has bunches of small inspector marks but NO serial number and never had a serial. number. I can prove it is a 1918 frame so being the frame was made before the 1934 gun control act I was able to get a letter from batf stating it was legal for me to own or sell.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Lunchbox frames were slipped out prior to a serial being applied. As in, before it was on the books.
  • Options
    claysclays Member Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter, I think I may have purchased one such gun at a show this past weekend. It has a 6 digit serial, no prefix or suffix. Slide is marked Colt 38 super, barrel is marked 38 AMU. Have not had much time to go over it closely, but will add pictures and ask more questions later.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Clays The 38AMU "ARMY MARKSMANSHIP UNIT" was an attempt to come up with a RIMLESS 38 special . The 38 special was the cartridge of choice
    "BACK IN THE DAY" for Bulls-Eye shooters shooting REVOLVERS in the CENTERFIRE stage of Bulls-Eye matches. It was hard to get the 38special to feed out of a Magazine if one wanted to use a SEMI auto pistol Thus the 38AMU. I have a number of pre war 38 super pistols that were converted to 38 Special by old school Pistol smiths Like John Giles and DINAN. Great pistols ALBEIT of less value today than one that was left as shipped from factory. Would love to see pictures of yours EDIT I do have some factory marked AMU Magazines