In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyma Perma Center "rainbow"

GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a Lyman fixed 20x vintage that is "rainbowing " on the bell. I didn't even know it until I looked at the end,,I had it sold until that was spotted. Question, who repairs that if possible and ballpark figure,? and you guys know anyone here on G.B. that does that repair? I was not even aware of "rainbowing" and I have been around the block to often.thanks

Comments

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean on / in the glass? And not on the metal right?
    If so, it might be a separation or imperfection in the glass itself.
    Might not be an easy fix.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think hazing/crazing is fixable in multi element lenses. Looks like fine mesh chicken wire. Rainbow producing on the edges of the image is design/flaw in refracting optics.

http://www.astronomynotes.com/telescop/s2.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    tank and charlie,,yea, its in the glass,,I looked through it and it was clear, I think, but it sure has the 1/4" of it rainbow,,,never seen that before,,,looking around the net,,looks like they say maybe the layers of lens have come apart some? thanks
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's caused by the lens glue breaking down between the lenses. It's repaired by removing the lens from the scope, soaking it in acetone to separate them then regluing with lens glue. Edmund Optics in NJ sells the glue. BTW the condition doesn't affect the clarity or function of the scope
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Lyman website:

"Lyman has not manufactured scopes for quite some time. We have sold the last of our parts and fixtures to a company in Ohio, who is currently making repairs to the scopes. We would recommend you contact them directly at: Parsons Scope Service, 2213 Smith Road, PO Box 192, Ross, OH 45061, 513-867-0820 or psscopes@concentric.net"

Maybe these guys can help.
    yooper
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure if Parsons is still in business. Gil Parsons died 4 years or so ago. (While he still had my 2" Unertl!) It certainly wouldn't hurt to check, though. (My Unertl did get repaired and returned.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dokey, yooper, ambrose, thanks all for the help,,I really did think I saw through it clearly.,,I will follow up for repair at either place. Thanks all.[:)]