In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gage Mates rifle insert

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
Recently gage mates began offering fully rifled 10in long shotgun to cartridge adapters.
Anyone have any first hand experience.? The one of interest to me is 16ga/38 spl/357 mag insert.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.gaugemate.com/

I like the o-ring to help keep the adapter centered. I think you will get best results if you index the adapter when you put it in.

Make a mark on it, shoot several rounds always putting it in the same place say 12 o'clock . Then shoot several a 6 o'clock. Compare the group location, perhaps your adapter will be closer to point of aim at 2 o'clock. Then again might not make any difference.. Way more critical with the 22LR adapter as they are off center to change from center to rim fire.

If you plan to shoot any distance 2 aiming points helps. I put a mid bead in the rib of my 870 for slug work. There are tape sights, and I have seen ones that clamp on a vented rib.

added I'm sure there is lawyer speak that says to use the adapter only in modern firearms. There were other designs in which the cartridge was fully contained in the adapter, which compensated for the large firing pin/weak area, not sure it totally made up for a weak action.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Don't mean to hijack this but I looked at web site and liked what I saw . However I have one question about the shotgun to RIFLE / PISTOL. I could not find answer on their web site. I understand how their unit contains the pressure from rifle cartridges but what about the thrust pressure against the breach face of some of the older S X S shotguns as well as large firing pin and their large holes in the breach face. [?][?]
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had one years ago, made by a different manufacturer. Wasn't accurate. Used in a Rossi Coach gun.

The Rossi didn't have any sights. Because of this "up close and personal". Was the only way you could have consistant COM hits.

If the shotgun doesn't have adjustable sights. IMHO, it would only be effective for very short range, (inside a room). Home defense.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "If the shotgun doesn't have adjustable sights. IMHO, it would only be effective for very short range, (inside a room) Home defense"
    In which case the shotgun would be every bit as good.
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Intended use will be on left barrel of SxS 16 ga drillings equiped with iron sights as well as detachable scope. Will not be removed.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the 3rd barrel chambered in, 22 Sav. HP? Who made your drilling and when? What action type?

added I almost bought a JP Sauer 16 x 16 x 5.6x52R.

I think your firearm would likely handle 38 Special forever. 357's might be too much for a thin area around the firing pin. You should consult a knowledgeable local gunsmith for a hands on inspection.

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/
  • jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8x57jr, Record Germany .