In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS Conversion to 30 rd mags

lonewolfe5lonewolfe5 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1958 Romanian SKS with a folding blade bayonet. I was wondering how difficult it would be to convert it from the standard 10 rd well to accepting 30 rd mags. I have heard that when you do ths you have to have some work done on the bolt face to keep it from jamming was wondering if this is true?

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 30 round "duck bill" mags sold for the SKS rarely work reliably in any SKS; I haven't seen it tried in a Romanian SKS, but assume that it would not work well on that make, either.

20 rd fixed mags generally work well in the SKS, if you just have to have higher capacity. But, the best thing to do is stick with the factory 10 rd mag.

If you really need 30 rds, get an AK.

Neal
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I added a 30 round detatchable for my Dad several years back on a Russian SKS. No real hassle, just pulling the pin that holds the 10 rounder to remove it and then replacing the old mag with the detachable mag. Took about 15-20 mins, as I took my time and made sure it fit right. It works about half the time with a full mag (No stops) then the next mag will jam with one or two. (The original one was standard old SKS reliable, it never jammed)

If the one hi-cap mag seller guarantees theirs to work give that a try, maybe you'll have better luck.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you want to go to a FIXED 30 round mag, or a detachable one?

To repeat what's already been said, the fixed 20 round mags may work reliably, but most of the other aftermarket types (especially detachable high cap mags) are prone to jamming. Some people have good luck if they carefully fit the mag by hand (you may need to relieve some wood from the stock).

Without an external bolt lock, to swap a detachable high cap mag requires one hand to hold the gun, one hand to retract the bolt (which in practice ends up being the same one holding the gun!), and one hand to load the mag. Its not very ergonomic.

There may be legal/compliance issues with taking a stock C&R type SKS and adding a high cap mag (perhaps more theoretical than actual).

I agree with nmyers. Personally, I would just keep your 10 round magazine in place since it works great and is legal everywhere (and that's what I've done).

I've never actually taken this gun into combat, but I've never felt like I needed more than 10 rounds. Charging the gun with stripper clips is pretty easy and fast, and the clips themselves are lighter, cheaper, and far less bulky than a similar number of rounds in detachable magazines.

Short of an actual gunfight, I don't know why you'd really need more capacity than 10, but if you do, I also suggest selling your SKS to buy a Kalashnikov.
  • Options
    stankempstankemp Member Posts: 509 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want to modify the SKS in this way , make sure you go all the way and have no more than the 10 imported parts on the gun. The easiest parts to replace with USA made items are: stock, handguard, mag body, follower,& gas piston. Please do some research on the "rule of 10" to maintain compliance with ATF rules.
    Stan
  • Options
    keystone1974keystone1974 Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or just go to gb side and purchase the Norinco ak NHM 91 for $650..... What a steal!!!!!!
  • Options
    tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on the NHM, there is one out there now cheaper than that by $250

Trust me i have tried all that crap when i was a young man and the stock 10 and 20 rd mags (fixed) work best.
    and by best i mean are the only things worth messing with
  • Options
    rifletechrifletech Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please read the following link concerning technical aspects of well made mags - and the reason our mags are guaranteed to work flawlessly!
    We thank you for your patronage over the decades and appreciate your support!

http://www.rifletech.net/item2006.htm