In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

&.62 NATO & .50 BMG ammo ID

blueswissblueswiss Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I have a belt of 7.62 NATO on an M60 belt. It is all green tipped with a white stripe.
What the heck is that?

I also have beaucoup rounds (200?) of .50 BMG.
There are yellow tips, red, silver, white and black.
Any idea what these colors signify??

Thanx ahead of time.
Tim

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reference give the green point 7.62 X 51, as being "Frangible Ball", with a plastic bullet.

As far as the 50's are concerned. Red, is tracer. Black, is AP. Silver, is API. Yellow, is "Spotter-Tracer". Can't find any for White.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a nice list for 50 BMG. Head stamp is important as some countries used different colors.
    https://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/50-bmg-ammo-identification-chart.49583/

IIRC green with a white band is frangible ammo in 7.62 nato.
  • blueswissblueswiss Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx for the info regarding the frangible 7.62 NATO.
    Is it worth anything extra over regular ball ammo or worth even less?
  • ammo guyammo guy Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7.62X51 Nato ammo is actually IR tracer ammo in the earlier version. The latter one had a Purple shade of color code. It would only be frangible if the bullet itself had a dark gray color. If it has the standard gilding metal jacket is is as above.
  • CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7.62mm Frangible M160 and the Tracer XM276 appeared to be an accident waiting to happen. The Frangible was a low powered round meant to disintegrate on contact with a lightly armored target, whereas the Tracer was a full powered starlight/dim round meant to be used against conventional targets. Both were identified by the green/white tip color. I've never heard of an accident, so either it turned out OK or reports were covered up.

Blueswiss - you need to ID what you have using the clues given by ammo guy. It will make a big difference in their value and what you might want to use them for.
    edited November -1
    I will check for the info on the headstamp.
    Here is what is on the headstamp.

There is a circle with a plus sign in it.
    The capital letters 'FA'
    The numbers '65'

Sorry. I neglected to check the thread for a little while. I have a nasty cold.
    edited November -1
    Based on the head stamp it is going to be frangible. As the IR tracers were not made until the early 90's.
    edited November -1
    "IR" tracers were first made by FA in the 1960s. The green/white tip is the 3rd iteration and is known with 1970s headstamps.

But, I agree with a ammo guy, what you have are very likely frangibles. Probably more collectable than shootable.
    edited November -1
    Once again, thank you for the help.
    I have a gun show to go to on Saturday in Valparaiso, IN.
    I wanted to make sure of what I had, so as to not misrepresent what they were.
    Tim
    edited November -1
    I feel I must reply to what Cheechako stated. I was an ammunition officer in the Ordnance Corp on active duty from 1969-1972. I was an instructor in the Ammunition School at Redstone Arsenal, AL. We had no information on any IR tracer ammo being mfg at that time or prior to this time. None was listed in the DODAC. I remained in the Reserves in the same basic duty until 1996. I began seeing this ammo in the early 90's in general use mainly for Helo gun ships where the pilot's were using night vision. I assume it was in development prior to that decade but don't think it goes back as early as the 60's.
    edited November -1
    I feel I must reply to what ammo guy said because sometimes even ammunition officers are left out of the loop. ;-)

Below is a photo of several 7.62mm tracers that I took several years ago. There are others not in the photo. Collectors typically call them Starlight/Dim tracers. TMs call them Dim Tracers although IR is is as good a description as any other, I guess.

left to right

White/Orange - FA 68
    Pink - FA 68
    White/Pink - LC 69
    Green/Pink - LC 69
    Green/White - LC 70 (GMCS bullet)
    Green/White LC 92 (GM bullet)
    Violet - LC 95
    Orange/Yellow - FA 60
    Orange/Yellow - FA 60
    Green/White - FA 62 Frangible M160

21do9lc.jpg