In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

? on Winchester Model 71 .348

llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I finally got around to loading some ammo for my .348. I was waiting for the ride of my life but it acted like a 30 30 with warmed up 170 grain slugs. I am now in love.
My ? is how do I find info on production #'s, age, and anything else?
The serial # 19XXX. As they quit making it the year I was born yes that long ago. Yes there were dinosaurs and cowboys and everything was in black and white. All levity aside I was at a gun show late last year there was a vendor that had 16 loaded rounds for "only" $80. A man asked to buy them and said his hand loads had too much recoil? Why not rework them? He was young and skinny. I thought to myself had he ever been taught to shoot a rifle correctly?
Any input greatly appreciated.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never found the recoil of a 348 offensive. A Ruger #3 in 45-70 with top reloads will get your attention.

That's the true beauty of reloading just what you want. I would be shooting mostly hard cast bullets in your 348. Very economical and your brass can last longer.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Llama Girl,
    19838 was the last serial number made in 1940, so, your model 71 was either made in 1940 or early 1941. That's even before I was born, yup, black and white and cowboys.
    I have run a lot of Winchester Super X factory loads through a model 71, didn't think the recoil was too bad. I load for an old neighbor who has a 348, they where popular elk and bear rifles here, back in the day. Anyway, he shoots 180 gr. Nosler RN over 67 gr. H4831SC and a WIN LRP primer. He got the load out of an old Pacific loading manual.
    The max load is 69 gr. and the starting load is 65gr.
    Hope this help answer your question.
    W.D.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    JUST TO NOTE THAT HORNADY NOW MAKES A 'LEVEREVOLUTION' BULLET FOR THE .348
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently wrote an article that was published in "The WINCHESTER Collector", magazine about the Model 71 (almost two years ago now) that covers the production numbers, variations, etc. If you are interested, please send me a PM.
  • llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the answers folks. I loaded 200 grain Hornaday jacketed flat points with 45 grains of 4064. I didn't realize it was almost as old as my Browning Hi Power.
    To Bert I have no idea what a PW is but I am interested.
    Thanx again,
    Llama Girl
  • my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1