In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lube/sizer

Big Cedar IdahoBig Cedar Idaho Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Ask the Experts
I just recently acquired an older Lyman lube&sizer and while processing about 200 bullets I found that about half of the lube had passed back up past the piston and ring. The piston and ring appear to be providing an adequate seal but are not.
Any ideas what I can do to prevent this leakage. It is a bit of trouble having to crank that piston back up so many times.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on how old your unit is. I changed out the follower in my old one to the new style that has O-rings, and no more leaks. I had to get the drive screw also due to different thread.

What lube are you using? I usually only use 5050 alox beeswax. When it's really cold I set the press on a heater duct for awhile to make it easier to flow with less pressure. I crank the screw for every bullet, I'd don't try and build enough pressure to run several bullet in a row without adding pressure.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The O rings are easily replaced, I have worn out several sets. If the luber has been sitting a while take a propane torch and hit the base and sides to just warm it up a bit to help get the lube flowing. I use only 50/50 alox beeswax lube.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    " It is a bit of trouble having to crank that piston back up so many times."............that's what they make barrery hand drills for ;-)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    " It is a bit of trouble having to crank that piston back up so many times."............that's what they make barrery hand drills for ;-)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The luber that I have is the one with a bronze piston ring. I did not know that there is a later version that uses "O" rings for a seal. Thanks for that.
    As for the drill suggestion, not too good. I simply use a electric powered 1/4in. drive ratchet wrench with a 5/16in. socket, which seems to work very well.
    I think that I will go with the "O" ring fix.
    Thanks to all.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
    I had the oposite problem in the 60's, I could not get the lub to the bullet.
    My basement was unheated so I wrapped (as shown in the photo) electric heated tape around the lub barrel.
    This worked for me on my home made Saco air cyclinder operated lub sizer.
    An air cylinder with an extended rod is missing that pushed the finished sized bullet into a bucket.
    I used an old licenses plate holder for my switch panel.

I would think your lub sizer is worn.
    If a new O ring doesn't work ( if it takes one) try keeping you lub cold.
    Like putting them in the refrigerator/frezzer over night

lubi-sizer.jpg~original