In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Screw thread size for 88 Winchester

Mike FinkMike Fink Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know the thread size to the factory drilled and tapped receiver holes for scope mounts on a model 88 or 100 Winchester?-Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    6 x 48 I believe, based on memory though.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is 6-48 screw.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Gents. I called Leupold to order a few since I needed 4 for sure. He took all my info and told me he would send some my way. At no charge. That is a fine way to thank me for being an undying Leupold fan. So kudos to them and the fine customer service. Made my week!-Mike
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester 88. You'll want to ensure the screws are the proper length and not so long they'll reach through the receiver and interfere with the bolt. I' nt 100% certain, but I think the holes are tapped "through & through" rather than bottoming out.

Also, screw heads can have a variety of bottom profiles and should ideally match the profile of the hole on the scope mount. For example, a funnel shaped screw head stem used on a square bottomed hole mount may not give the best results. With a modest kicker and 4 screw holes like the Winchester 88 it may be a moot point, just something to keep an eye on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dfletcher
    I have a Winchester 88. You'll want to ensure the screws are the proper length and not so long they'll reach through the receiver and interfere with the bolt. I' nt 100% certain, but I think the holes are tapped "through & through" rather than bottoming out.

Also, screw heads can have a variety of bottom profiles and should ideally match the profile of the hole on the scope mount. For example, a funnel shaped screw head stem used on a square bottomed hole mount may not give the best results. With a modest kicker and 4 screw holes like the Winchester 88 it may be a moot point, just something to keep an eye on.
    Been down that road before and the service rep warned me that the screws are longer than what may be original and I would be modifying the length. Thanks for the heads up, nonetheless.-Mike