In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 round mag ruger mark 2 22 calib

rangerange Member Posts: 554 ✭✭✭
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
would like to get a 15 or 20 round mag for a ruger mark 2

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not seen one. I only use factory 10 rounder in mine.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only extended capacity magazines for the Ruger's. That I have used in the past, were the plastic Ramlines. They only held 2 additional rounds though. And weren't reliable. The plastic was inferior, and self destructed.
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not that I have found. This is what I did for the 22/45 and the 10/22. Four for the 22/45 and 2 for the 10/22.

Utopiacabin016_zps03646e21.jpg
    Utopiacabin017_zpse9419cf5.jpg
  • Options
    donut77donutdonut77donut Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    The only extended capacity magazines for the Ruger's. That I have used in the past, were the plastic Ramlines. They only held 2 additional rounds though. And weren't reliable. The plastic was inferior, and self destructed.

I had similar results with my plastic Ramline breaking after a few uses. I also have 2 metal 12 round Ramlines that work great. Good luck finding those though. They are rare. You can order plus 1 magazine bumper extensions for the mkii mag. Good luck.

EDIT: YMMV
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only ones I have ever seen were custom made from the cutting and fitting of two
    standard Ruger 10 rounders into one extended that held 17/18 rounds.
    I do not know if they were successfully trouble free.
    Extended mags for a mk2 or mk3 would be unwieldily and IMHO a waste of money.
    Just carry extra Ruger mags, they work, reloads are a snap.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by range
    would like to get a 15 or 20 round mag for a ruger mark 2

Never seen one, and don't think they exist (or at least, not factory ones).

In general, the rims on .22LR rounds makes reliable magazine construction difficult, and the longer the magazine, the more difficult it is to get them to work reliably, especially if the magazine has to be straight. There are reasons why extended .22LR magazines are usually curved or otherwise unusually shaped.

Begging the question of why you "need" 20 rounds in a .22 rimfire handgun, if that is what you want, there are OTHER .22 handguns out there that can take extended magazines, including the Ruger Charger (which takes 10-22 magazines) and AR-15 style pistols that accept AR-15 type .22LR magazines.

If you'd rather shoot your Ruger Mk II (and I would. . .at least that one is a "real" handgun designed as such for adults), then just buy a few extra magazines and be done with it.

Edit:
    quote:I must have at least 4 of the miserable plastic and metal Ramline mags, laying around collecting dust. Can't see putting them on the auctions. Taking advantage of somebody.I agree that asking full price for these is probably "unsporting" (though caveat emptor), but I really don't think it would be taking advantage of anyone if you were to start them at one cent.

If you sincerely believe they aren't particularly strong or reliable, you could even say so in the auction itself. Obviously you don't think they are "total" junk, or you'd have just put them in the garbage, right?

Personally, I'd potentially pay a few bucks each for what amounts to "disposable" magazines, and I don't think that's so crazy. Even if they aren't all that durable, or even reliable, I think there are shooters who are really just occasional plinkers who would still be happy to have an extra mag or two and really might not care.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by donut77donut
    Originally posted by rufe-snow

I had similar results with my plastic Ramline breaking after a few uses. I also have 2 metal 12 round Ramlines that work great. Good luck finding those though. They are rare. You can order plus 1 magazine bumper extensions for the mkii mag. Good luck.

My experience with the metal Ramline magazines, for the Ruger. Mirrors that of the plastic ones, unfortunately. The metal is to soft. So that after extended use. The feed lips bend causing FTF, jambing etc.

Since I have got rid of my MK 1. I must have at least 4 of the miserable plastic and metal Ramline mags, laying around collecting dust. Can't see putting them on the auctions. Taking advantage of somebody.