In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Colt Set 44-40 1894 Rifle & Colt SAA

Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
edited October 2014 in Ask the Experts
Do these have a collector value.? New, never fired in presentation case with gold medallions. It is for sale on the auction side.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Listed in my Blue Book, as "1984 Winchester-Colt Commemorative Set". 2,300 sets were made. My older Blue Book lists them @ 100%, $2500. This is substantially less than the original cost of $3,995.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rufe, That is what I needed to know.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most generally, commemorative sets, or individual firearms, drop value, compared to their contemporary counterparts.

You might run across an exception now and then, but it is a rare event. Usually where the purchase price runs higher, is where the buyer has no idea what he is being sold, other than it is dressed up, and looks real nice.

Now, if you see a turn of the century(1900) Colt SAA, and Winchester 1892 in that caliber, or even an 1873, that are in decent but all original condition, that is an investment.

Best
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Here's a set that sold for $2,000 in July:

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=429235319

Definitely not a great investment for the original buyer.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Blue Book (as usual) is not accurate. There were actually just 2,240 sets made, and the original issue price was $2,800.

Winchester Model 94 commemoratives have been, and most likely will continue to be, a very poor investment item.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guess I will stay away from the commemeratives then. Thanks for all your info.
  • Options
    peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sometimes will buy a commemorative in a Colt SAA to shoot because it will be cheaper and in new shape.