In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt SAA

fvpd201fvpd201 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hi. What, if any are the differences in the cylinder locking bolt between the second and third generation colt SAA? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    From what little I know about these guns the 1st Generation and early 2nd Gen(about up to SER#39000sa)are of the finest quality.

I have read that the post 1965 guns were beginning to diminish in
    quality and the decline continued through the years.

Can someone tell me how the quality of the current manufactured compares to the others?
    Thank You
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know very little about these. I am looking at a couple of pistols, pre-1900. The hard rubber grips seem more brown than black. Do they loose color with age, or are they repros. I just want to have one for a companion gun to put with the Lightning rifles. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently purchased a Colt SAA S/N 339XXX.

On what parts of the handgun should I find the serial numbers?

Thank you very much.

Mark J
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a Colt SAA that belonged to my father. At least I think it's a Colt. I can't find a trademark anywhere on the frame. It's possibly been refinished, since it's nickle (minus the cylinder). It's a .45 with a serial number of 109166. Any help on authenticity/value would be appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a couple of books on Colt saa. They don't go into any detail as far as numbers and letters on back of cylinders of first gen colts.
    Before I spend 50.00 - 100.00 on a book, can anyone suggest a book on colt saa 1st gen that go into detail on numbers and letters on colt saa cylinders and barrels. Thanks - Bertman
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see several colt saa under 50 years old listed as C&R a couple in the blue box. Are this legal to buy with a C&R license
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to get a 45l.c. for plinking. After watching the auctions for quite a while, it seems there is never a used colt 3rd gen. for sale, all new unturned. would I be a fool to buy one to actually shoot?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I found a Colt SAA it is obviously older and has some holster wear and a couple tiny dings near the muzzle. It looks like it was worn in a holster that allowed the very end of the barrel to poke though the bottom.Mechanics are A1 as is everything from the above mentioned spot on back. The grips are black plastic? with the colt pony near the top and the american eagle on the lower sides. What should I be willing to pay? Its a 45 Colt ofcourse. I really want it too.[:p]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend is disposing of a family members' estate. I know shouldn't ask these questions without pictures, but didn't have my camera with me and it doesn't do close ups well anyway. The estate contains 2 first gen. Colt SAA's.
    1.) serial # 118388 on barrel and frame, serial # 238188 on backstrap, # 451 on loading gate. The gun was buffed, but can read address on bbl, patent dates on frame and all serial no's. The Colt logo that I believe should appear on left side of frame under cylinder is not there. The gun was then nickle plated. Presently the plating looks good, but is worn at the end of the bbl and the front of cylinder. The screw in the bottom of the backstrap was either missed in the plating process or is a later replacement because it is not plated. All screw slots look pretty good.
    Grips are an imitation stag (probably put on when the other work was done) and have shrunk. It does lock up tight, however hammer will fall from safety notch if trigger is pulled.
    Now the impossible question; what's a fair price to ask for this ???

2.) Serial # 183000. This one is tougher without pictures. Looks like a dug-up, but can read letters, numbers and Colt logo. The cylinder turns, locks up and functions, very severe pits all over. The original grips are nearly smooth and right grip is missing a piece 2" long x 3/8" wide.
    Does this have any value?
    I told friend that I would post this inquiry for him. Thanks to all that want to take this one on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Over the weekend I pickup a Colt SAA. On the top it says HARTFORD CT MODEL. On the side of the frame PAT.SEPT.19.1871 PAT. JULY.2.1872 and US. All of the ser. # match. can any one help me here.
    Thanks

There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can someone tell me when Generation 1 for the colt saa ended and when generation 2 began. [?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello

I have acquired a blackpowder(1892) SAA that has a couple of "issues" (otherwise the gun is in very good shape).

First, the ejector rod head is missing. Does anyone know what type it takes? Where might I get an original one? How does it attach to the ejector rod?

Second, it looks like the base pin MIGHT be a replacement. Again, how can I find what it should look like? I've heard that it should have small holes in the end for this period (it does not). Again, where can I get an original?

Thanks

Jim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A friend inherited a Colt SAA from his uncle that has a letter with it. It was shipped to the Philippines to the US Army in the 1880's. He's wanting to sell it and I advised him not taking it to the local gun show, but possibly selling it on gunbroker. I have bought firearms on gunbroker, but haven't sold any. How hard of a chore would it be to sell it for him? Is it legal for someone to sell a firearm for another? How hard would it be to keep from getting scammed by someone? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Jimmy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi I am a Danish collector, and new to this forum. I hope my approach is acceptable, otherwise I apologise.

I recently came across this Colt SAA, serial nr. 47021 (frame, trigger-guard and backstrap. No (visible) marks or serialnumbers on barrel or cylinder. Caliber (on left side of barrel):32. W.C.F.

Adress in two lines on top of barrel, nearly worn away: (top line): ....T F. A. MFG. Co. (bottom line): H....D CT. U.S.A.

Inside frame (hidden by trigger guard) numbers 10 and 31 (assembly numbers?), not matching with numbers on loading gate (52 32).

At the rear end of frame (where backstrap is attached, only visible when dismantled) a small letter A.

On the left side of the trigger guard itself, very small, barely visible 4(7)0(2), or 4(4)C(F).

On the frame patent dates in three lines.
    In hammer slot letter G.
    Circular bulls eye rod end, front sight with a "sharp" top.
    One piece wooden grip, apparently no markings.
    Cylinder with full length base pin bushing.
    Adress in two lines on top of barrel, nearly worn away.

It seems to me, that the gun may have changed caliber, (44 to 32 - would explain the 4(4)C(F) on trigger guard)? Also it may have been reblued a long time ago, might explain the weak adress and patent dates?

Can you help me "identify" this gun? Any idea as to value?

Thanks

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6761/dsc01302b.jpg
    http://img688.imageshack.us/i/dsc01334si.jpg
    http://img208.imageshack.us/i/dsc01305yc.jpg
    http://img27.imageshack.us/i/dsc01402iq.jpg
    http://img64.imageshack.us/i/dsc016322.jpg
    http://img291.imageshack.us/i/dsc01520t.jpg
    http://img198.imageshack.us/i/dsc01672c.jpg
    http://img15.imageshack.us/i/dsc01526zl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Colt SAA first month of production 2nd generation, new in the box, unfired, unturned cylinder, 7 1/2" case hardned frame revolver. Whats it worth?? (.45 long Colt cal.)Original brown box and correct endpaper serial numbered to the gun. If you need more info, let me know . All paperwork in the box.

bob levine
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

I just had a few questions about a Colt SAA first generation that I have had locked away for quite a few years. The gun was my father in laws, he passed away many years ago. I finally got around to looking into the gun and possible selling it. First I contacted Colt and obtained all the information via there archive service that I could. The serial # for the gun is 102863. The information that we obtained from Colt states the gun had a 7 1/2 inch barrel with a blue finish, .45 caliber. The gun in it's current state has a nickel finish and a 4/3/4 inch barrel. Obviously the gun has been reworked. How does this affect the value and is there anyway to identify who did the work and when? Any information would be appreciated. I attached a couple of pictures also. Thanks for all the help.
    DSC03033.JPG
    DSC03034.JPG
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    You will find the serial numbers on the front of the triger guard and right in front of that on the frame, on the cyclinder, and on the bottom of the grip frame. They should all match. Good luck. W.D.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Made 1920 trigger guard backstrap,under left grip
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Made 1920 trigger guard backstrap,under left grip
  • Options
    edited November -1