In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50 AE Desert Eagle?

bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
What is the word on Desert Eagle pistols in general and 50 AE in particular? Any problems or concerns on these? Would one in 44 mag be more desirable?[?]
JM

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I just bought a 50 AE Desert Eagle, I like it. A dollar a round for ammo is a little low, more like 2.25 per round if you buy it. I just orderd die's, brass and bullets. Reloads will cost about .80 cents apeace to produce. Heck of a gun though, I bought mine to shoot bowling pins with. I already have a Colt Anaconda in 44mag, and a model 25 Smith in 45 Colt, I just wanted to step up, AND I got a real deal on the gun. Enjoy. W.D.
  • Options
    whompusswhompuss Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've put 100 rounds through a 50AE Eagle. The recoil isn't as bad as a 454 in my opinion. Otherwise there isn't much practical use for it.
    If I were in big bear country I'd carry a 454 wheel gun.
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great guns. Enjoy.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gets boring after a while. i sold mine in less than 6 months. got tired of spent brass cuting my forehead open.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload but 80 cents/round still doesn't sound good. The 44 mag is sounding better to me.
    JM
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Natchezz sells speer gold dot for like $14/20rnds. At least the last time I bought some. The gun is accurate and powerful, I havn't had a jamm yet.

loading a pistol round,..no matter how big,...won't cost that much. Save brass and the loads will be maybe 50 cents.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do both. Get the 50, then get a 44 barrel assembly and magazine later. They use the same bolt. Anything the 50AE will do at 100 yards, the 44 mag with a 300 grain pill will do better. The 50 has more energy at the muzzle out to 50yards or so, then falls behind.
  • Options
    AZgunownerAZgunowner Member Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if your gonna do both get the 44 first then spend the xtra 400 on the adapter for the 50 ....but other than that great guns..i got a gold tiger striped one that i take out very rarly cause i love it so...
  • Options
    Beer gutBeer gut Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 50 AE and really like it but the hand grip on desert eagles are huge and hard to hold on to but its a cannon and fun to shoot. Plus if you look at Magnum Reserch's web site the are alot cool color varition gold, silver, platnum etc.