In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

270 WSM

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to buy a 270 wsm. I am thinking about the Savage or the Tika. Which is the most accurate? Is the 270 wsm a good shooter?

Comments

• kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 270wsm in the savage. took it out today and gettin 5 inch group at 100 yards. but at fifty it is better. loading 58.5 grains of imr4350. suggestions on this. raise powder or lower? 140gr hornady sst. just not acceptable for me where it is now. thanks
    edited November -1
    I am getting a 270wsm in a few months and was wandering what the recoil is like. What is it equivilant to. If it helps the rifle will be a Tikka T3 Lite.
    edited November -1
    I'm in need of counseling so I'm laying on the couch. Please tell me reveared sages of the shooting world why did winchester come out with the 270wsm. I've shot ywo and the accuracy is not that impressive and I have taken coues deer up to a shiras moose with my old M70 270. Am I missing something or is bullet placement still not 90% of shooting big game[xx(]
    edited November -1
    I am not sure why the thread was locked. I just went back and looked at the cases I have. The ones I sized are nice and smooth. I looked closely at the ones I tried to put in the rifle and there is a dig in the brass about 1/8" starting at the shoulder of the cartridge. This can only come from the chamber. My gunsmith is closed for a week so I will have to wait and see what he thinks.
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum, so if I am not posting correctly let me know.
    I plan on reloading some 270 WSM shells with 150 gr. sst bullets. I have all the componets I need except I got standard large rifle primers instead of mag.large rifle primers. Will the standards work? Some sites say yes will others reccomend the mag. primers. Any info would be appreciated. I have had this rifle since Dec. and have not fired it yet. I want to roll loads so I can practice a little.
    Thank you
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:why did winchester come out with the 270wsm

The basic answer to your question is that they wanted to sell more rifles and ammo. If you tell someone that product B is better than the product A they already own then that person will buy product B.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    It is a good round its also an accurate round. Perhaps it was the configuration of whatever it was you were shooting.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are many new and "improved" rounds that have been introduced in recent years. All designed by marketing departments to sell new guns.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kumate,

The reality of accuracy is that there is a bunch more to it obviously than just the cartridge. There are some cartridges that seem to carry that title if 'inherently accurate' (6PPC, .308 Win.) while others such as the .270 and the .30-06 have basic, consistent, reliable accuracy. Maybe these two aren't the greatest as far as accuracy is concerned but certainly good enough for the proverbial 1-1/4" to 1" hunting accuracy used as a measuring stick here in the U.S.

If a rifle seems to be lacking accuracy and you have eliminated you the shooter as the primary problem, start running the list of factors that contribute to the potential for inaccuracy.

scope
    rings
    base
    crown
    chamber (throat)
    interior finish of the barrel
    lack of bedding
    poor bedding
    wrong action screw torque
    needs pillar bedding
    pressure point in barrel channel
    lack of pressure point
    barrel touching sides of barrel channel
    barrel improperly stress relieved
    etc.

This doesn't even get anywhere near the list of problems that most shooters have with getting a good consistent shooting position and platform. I've heard folks complain that they couldn't get 1/2" groups and they were shooting off the hood of their truck using a rolled up shirt for support. Do some hard serious looking and checking first before blaming the cartridge.

The argument of why do I need anything but my good old .270 Win. or my trusty old .30-06 gets a little worn out after a while. You don't need anything more than either of these two cartridges in North America. If it walks, runs or crawls on this continent, both cartridges are capable of killing it with a bullet of appropriate construction and placement. And yes, placement is still one the best primary ingredients.

The WSM cartridge family is a result of the backlash against belted magnums. A large number of folks decided that belts were evil and wanted something that didn't use belts and yet had the energy and velocity from a larger case capacity. The error here with the WSMs is the that somebody keeps hitting these engineers with the stupid stick, convincing them that the these cartridges need to function through a short action. They didn't learn from Remington the first time and they were counting on the fact that these cartridges didn't have the evil belt, to carry them through the marketing wars.

No matter how you see it, this cartridge family is, on the whole, very good at what it does and they have been proven to be very accurate when the rifle and the shooter are up to the task.

That's the short version.

Best.
  • cjwinkcjwink Member Posts: 82 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one and I really liked it. The only problem is that with any mag you get the automatic longer barrell which I don't like. Sold it for a 7-08. But I still like the WSM family of bullets, I just don't like the longer bolt actions for the 270 and 30-06. The shorter the bullet the better for me..
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a lot of factors in the extreme accuracy game. A lot of it is akin to the shooter, and about the same amount to the rifle. Very little to the cartrige. The theory of Short fat case = accuracy, started with the 222, then the 308. To prove even more, it went to the PPC family. With the cartrige case, it is actually consistancy that makes accuracy.

The WSM case family was actually pioneered, and designed by Rick Jamison. The purpose was efficiency in a short action, that would produce near magnum ballistics.

You are correct, that shot placement is essential with everything. Outside of anything with teeth and toenails that can eat you, in the range of the 2 game animals you stated, a 22 hornet would work if placed in the right spot.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its easier to hit at longer range with a faster round, magnum speed in a short action, was an improvement to me. they made it to sell rifles, same as the reason they do anything
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kumate,

I know that your old 270 will do the job and do the job well. However, when one wants to reach just a little bit farther you have to climb a taller ladder. And to climb that it has to be beefed up.

My brother this past fall went out and bought a Win 70 Stainless/composite in 270 WSM. It beat the crap out of him and it wasn't real accurate. Then someone suggested he take himself out of the equation and buy a lead sled. Accuracy improved to Sub-MOA...for everyone that shot it. Okay, one problem solved, but you can' take that on the hunt. I suggested to my brother getting a Past pad. He did. He also changed the recoil pad on the rifle. Both helped Now he could take the rifle up into the mountains and shoot it accurately. He did. He filled his once-in-a-lifetime tag for a desert bighorn sheep. At the range he shot it he would have had to hold a mere 3" higher had he gone with the .270 Win. However, at extended ranges the 300 fps will mean a lot.

Something to be said though for going out and buying new rifles because we like to. I found that if I don't buy something that I like enough they quit making it...
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nonnonsense, like usual, is right on the money.
  • ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The answer to your question of "Why did winchester come out with the 270wsm?" is sales/marketing. It is the old "new and improved" game. If they keep selling the same old stuff year in and year out they get left in the dust because no one want to pay a higher prive for the same old stuff. So they have to come up with ways to get us buyers to get out and spend. The 270wsm is a brilliant cartridge in that there are so few, non wildcat, 270cal offerings out there while there is a large following of the 270win. In many ways it made/makes more sence then the 300wsm and the rest of the wsm cartridge clan.