In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old Colts question

CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have an 1885 vintage(#115xxx) Colt SAA. The inspectors initials on the cyclinder are DFC, it was shipped to the army on Sept 23, 1885 in an order of 150. What was the inspectors Name? Acording to the Colt letter it was returned to the factory in 1895 to be refurbished, it was returned to the army on Jan 2 1896. Where the initials put on the cyclinder when it was shipped the first time, or when it was refinished? It still has the 7 1/2 in barrel and the wood grips. The number 11 is stamped on the cyclinder, right next to the serial #, only in larger font.
Thank you for your time.
W.D.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    David F. Clark = 1861-1886. Per his dates of employment, he was the original inspector.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Thank you Ruf, your are indeed a gentleman and scholar. What about the #11 on the cyclinder next to the serial #?
    Thanks again.
  • Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    That may be an assembly or inspection number. Look inside the loading gate and on the bottom of the frame under the trigger guard to see if the number 11 is also stamped there. If it is, it's an assembly number to keep the parts together. Otherwise, it may have been an inspection number at the time of refurbishing.
  • tc399tc399 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a distinct '11', or a lightly struck '41'? 1885 is the year Colt added the .41 caliber.
    edited November -1
    It is a distinct 11, right above the serial number, it's bigger, and stamped deeper. It's not realy straight either, and gives the impression (to me) that it was not done at the same time. Thanks again for all the help. W.D.
    edited November -1
    There's no number inside the loading gate. TYVM W.D.
    edited November -1
    My single action is within a few years of yours and I am getting into researching these things. It gets complicated very quickly. Factory refurbishing in 1895 AND a 71/2" barrel might mean you have one of the New York State Militia guns. After Colt refurbished those, they started converting Cavalry guns to artillery models. The refurbished NYSM guns, of which there were only 800, DID have the first and second number of the serial number restamped on the barrel and cylinder.

Look around and under the extractor housing and see if there is another 11. If there is, you have something good. Don't let anyone fast-talk you out of it. Believe me, the sharks will be on the phone to you in ten minutes.
    edited November -1
    tc,
    The only 11 on the whole thing is on the cyclinder, my eyes are crossed from looking at it through the magnifying glass. There is what looks like a 4 on the inside cyclinder end of the extractor rod housing. There is a P stamped horizontially toward the back of the cyclinder. Thanks. W.D.
    edited November -1
    Take a look, finaly got the pictures. GunBroker #77010149 Thanks. W.D.
    edited November -1
    Yep, the 4 is right for a type 2 extractor housing. Mine has that. And the P is correct on the cylinder and so is the 11 if it is a NYSM gun, but it ought to be on the barrel too. Or it might be a Cavalry that was reworked to an Artillery that was reworked back to a Cavalry. I'd have to recommend that you send it to John Kopec, but even if all that happened, the gun is probably worth that much to someone.