In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crescent shotgun question

okeh21okeh21 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I have and old cresent single shot / hammer shotgun (12 gauge). The only number I can find is 596 stamped under the forend. Thanks for the help

Josh

Comments

• tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    i too have an old one, a double barrel with no numbers other than 31 on reciever rail. an old gunsmith told me it wasn't unusual for the time it was made. maybe crescent didn't number them
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Josh,

Unfortunately, the serial number is of very little use.

The Crescent Fires Arms Co. was in business from 1892 - late 1930 (when they were bought out by the Savage Arms Co.)

If your shotgun has a fluid steel barrel (versus damascus construction), it was made circa 1908 - 1930. Regardless of when exactly it was made, those old Crescent shotguns have very little monetary collector value today. They were made as tools, and were sold in almost every hardware and retail store in business at the time.

edit: Forgot to add... it is not safe to shoot it with modern shotshells or slugs. Undoubtedly, it has a short 2-5/8" chamber.