In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22lr match grade ammo recommendations

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a new 10/22 target heavy barrel rifle and I am wanting to find and buy several different types of accurate match grade ammo for paper punching (not for hunting use).
It will be fired from the match 10/22 with a good scope for extended ranges.
Thanks
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    You are right, you need to buy several different types of match ammo to see what your 10/22 shoots best. When you find the best ammo check the lot number and buy all of it that you can find. My 10/22 loes to shoot Wolf Match Extra but you may also want to try:
    Eley: Tenex Ultimate EPS Red
    Tenex Ultimate Semi-Auto (round nose bullet)
    Match EPS Black
    Match Semi-Auto (round nose bullet)
    MS Metallic Silhouette
    Club Extra Orange
    Club Extra Orange EPS
    Target Rifle
    RWS: R50
    Rifle Match
    Target
    Lapua: Midas M
    Midas L oversized
    Master M
    Master L
    Lapua Super Club

You can find each of these for sale at http://www.championshooters.com
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Plus one on MK19 remember the lot number is just as important as the brand when you get down to the very best ammo IN YOUR RIFLE. Champions choice is also first on my list You might want to contact them and ask Homer to suggest something a semi auto rifle may need ammo that will also function as compared to a bolt gun that you load the round in the chamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellas, that's exactly the info I was looking for...

In the past, I have used Remington Thunderbolt's for practice and Cyclone (hollow points) for hunting. It was cheap and accurate enough at rimfire hunting ranges. However, I have much higher hopes for this rifle (and by default, the ammo) in terms of its performance.

That site looks like what I had hoped to find, being able to order the different ammo all from one place.
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will probably run into Remington/Eley Target ammo or even Federal Gold Medal 711B (new box) at your local sporting goods. Don't waste your time or money with it. Its alot more expensive than normal 22, but you won't really even see a difference in the groups.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how much experience you have shooting and selecting 22 target ammo, so might I suggest that you clean your barrel before you switch to a different BRAND of ammo and then fire 2 or 3 FOULING SHOTS before you shoot for group size? 22 match ammo is rather finicky and one brand might not "like" the lube that another brand uses and this might throw off the group... or at least this is the "old school" way I was taught to select my match ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Iceracer, this is a brand new custom so I am starting with a clean slate. I do intend to clean between ammo types and will likely shoot several sequences of each type to allow for fouling, barrel temp, etc.
    Lee, I am glad you mentioned about Eley, I always thought they were fairly decent. I think that is what I use on my suppressed rifles but they aren't on anything special accuracy-wise.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    quote:You will probably run into Remington/Eley Target ammo or even Federal Gold Medal 711B (new box) at your local sporting goods. Don't waste your time or money with it. Its alot more expensive than normal 22, but you won't really even see a difference in the groups.
    quote:Lee, I am glad you mentioned about Eley, I always thought they were fairly decent. I think that is what I use on my suppressed rifles but they aren't on anything special accuracy-wise.

What Lee was mentioning was the Remington/Eley branded subsonic target ammo. That was made by remington and has Eley's name on it, there is really noting special about it but it can be bought very cheeply and most good gun shops or at Bass Pro.
    Real Eley target ammo such as the EPS series is regarded as the best pure target .22 on the market today and Eley .22 has won more championships than any other brand.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will probably get beat up pretty good for this reply but here goes. WOLF Match Target. In my experince it has outshot anmmo costing 4 or 5 times as much. Some people do not like the oily feel it has. Just dump it in a towell and roll it around if it bothers you. This is purely a personal dislike by many and the oily feel will not affect performance of the rifle.
  • Options
    bill2740bill2740 Member Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    I will probably get beat up pretty good for this reply but here goes. WOLF Match Target. In my experince it has outshot anmmo costing 4 or 5 times as much. Some people do not like the oily feel it has. Just dump it in a towell and roll it around if it bothers you. This is purely a personal dislike by many and the oily feel will not affect performance of the rifle.

+1
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Two of my better 22's like Wolf best also.
    I bought 3 bricks and noticed no POI difference when taking boxes from the different bricks (in case of different lots).

I almost didn't try it. Glad I did.