In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How to remove broken tip from stock-military rifle

GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Please-A little help from you military rifle experts-

I have 2 guns which I have broken off the threaded tip of the old military cleaning rod which is now stuck down inside the stock.

One is a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and the other is a Yugo 8mm Mauser.

Is there a reasonably easy way to remove the the broken tip. I noticed the 91/30 has a little metal piece inset into the stock but I cant figure out how to remove it. I haven't looked at the Mauser in a while so I don't recall if that has a similar thing.

What causes this-am I tightening them too much? I think both broke while shooting them. I usually just tighten them firmly with my finger and thumb.

Thanks for your input...

Comments

• Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you know an auto mechanic, he should have a set of what are called "Easy Outs" - these look like reverse threaded drill bits that are used to remove broken bolts of various sizes - Machinista should also have these. These tools should be able to remove the broken threaded parts. One suggestion though - call the mechanic or Machinist before you trot into his shop with a rifle. Also, it sounds as though you are tightening the pieces too tightly - they only need to be snug - leave a little wiggle - probably stressing under recoil and eventually breaking - they're not made of very strong steel.
  • Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    This is why I never kept my rods on the rifle. They stay in the gunsafe. I could never stand the rattling they made when not UBER tight. I was a mechanic for 7 years and easy outs do work well I just think you might have a hard time getting one in there.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GUNFUNCO,

On both my Yugo and my Mosin the insert that those screw into is deep. The Yugo is 12" and the Mosin is 7" I didn't take my Mosin apart but the Yugo already was apart and I noted the rod screws into a little tab that is fit into the bottom of the barrel channel. Too deep for any of my easy outs. So you need to first remove the stock. To get it out you screw a long screw down into the top(find the right thread) and pull it out.

Now, a little problem here, it was made to come out with nothing sticking out of either side. If your rod broke with something sticking out of the tab it won't come out easily or without damage.

Be very careful or you can do a lot more damage to the stock than what you are already facing. In fact I suggest that unless you are willing to damage your stock I wouldn't do this. Not having a cleaning rod is no big deal unless you are a re-enactor and it needs to be there. In which case I would A. permanently fix one in. or B. find another stock for this.
  • Options
    32 Magnum32 Magnum Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Wehrmacht on removing the cleaning rods. I do so when I shoot my MN 91/30 and MN 44, Yugo and Chinese SKSs and my SAR-1. Only problem doing this is not forgetting the cleaning rod at the range, I've done so twice. Getting old or maybe the brain is getting rattled around too much. Good luck!
  • Options
    GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks. I know what easy-outs are. I even have some.

The problem is with it being in a blind channel.

I figuered the military must have had a way to remove these because I doubt they replaced the stock every time a cleaning rod got broken in one.

The 91/30 has a little metal block insert set into the stock that has the threads but I don't know if it was glued in or what. I thought I could make a puller to remove the metal block because it has a small hole in it that may be threaded (on the inside of the stock) and if so, it would be easy enough to make a little puller to remove it. I just didn't know how it is secured into the stock. I will try to mess with it if I get a little time in the next couple of days and will let you guys know what I have found out.
  • Options
    BobohioBobohio Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am/was a Machinist,and 1 thing to try BEFORE the easy outs is to use a LEFT HANDED Drill bit that Corresponds to the Drill size you need for an Easy Out,that way IF the Left Handed Drill Bit does NOT work ( it should ) then you already have your Hole drilled for the Easy out,IF it is in there Good and Tight you MAY want to spray a little Air Kroil (we call it Skunk Piss at work) on it so the Kroil will seep in and help with breaking The stuck thread loose !
    I have a set of LEFT HANDED Drill Bits in my Tool Box,I would LIKE to get a set of JOBBER Drill Bits in a LEFT HANDED Twist,To reach into DEEP Holes,BUT I probably never will
    Thank You Very Much
    Bob