In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

antique gun at yard sale?

cowboynit21cowboynit21 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I came across an antique rifle at a yard sale today. It has an octoginal barrel, has belgium stamped on the underside of the barrel with the numbers 740 or 704. I'm not a gun collector but it was cheap and i figured why not. Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the company or how old it might be? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, with nothing more than the country of origin, what might, or might not, be a serial number and the shape of the barrel you want someone to tell you who made it, when they made it, what cartridge it takes and how much it's worth?

I bought a car, it's green and has 4 tires, who made it?
  • Options
    cowboynit21cowboynit21 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the guy also said it was a center fire, if that helps. I'll try to put some pictures up
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only way we can help you, is if you post pictures of it.
  • Options
    non mortuusnon mortuus Member Posts: 649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    So, with nothing more than the country of origin, what might, or might not, be a serial number and the shape of the barrel you want someone to tell you who made it, when they made it, what cartridge it takes and how much it's worth?

I agree it was a stupid question but dang, can we turn the anger down a notch [?]
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by non mortuus
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954

I agree it was a stupid question but dang, can we turn the anger down a notch [?]

No anger that I could see and not a stupid question, just an ignorant one.

Tailgunner, your car is probably made by one of the Big Three, or possibly Europe or maybe Japan. Hope that helps. [;)]
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowboynit21
    the guy also said it was a center fire, if that helps. I'll try to put some pictures up

Yes, that does help some (it eliminates the many rimfire and muzzle loaders).
    Can you provide any other markings that are on the barrel or receiver?
    Action type, IE Bolt, Lever, pump, break open, etc.
    Can you provide the approximate diameter of the bore? These run in about 1/2mm increments from 5.5 mm up to about 12mm.
    Pictures will be the greatest assist in making a good ID
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have sticks up front for things. Why not one that lists "basics for newbies"?
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rhmc24
    We have sticks up front for things. Why not one that lists "basics for newbies"?

*sigh* this has been suggested before but for some reason none of the mods saw fit to try it out, something about being more personal or something.

BTW I notice that was your 999th post [hint hint]
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    BobohioBobohio Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is HARD to get a "steal" at a yard sale or anywhere for that matter ever since the Internet came along,it is to easy to Punch a Name or word into "Google" or any other search engine and come up with ALL the info on the Firearm in Question,,hell the Internet Brought down the Local Gunshop! they closed their doors within 2 years,of course if their Prices were cheap,,but the reason is because you could BUY reloading Supplies and Gun Parts like Stocks and Scopes,at a LITTLE cheaper price,and these places would deliver the item right to your Door !
    It SUCKS though because NOW I have to drive 15 Miles to Buy A Damn Gun and drive 20 Miles the other way just to Buy a can of Gun Powder!
    So I am now trying to Minimize the Different types of Powder I use so I can just get a FEW Different Powders to use,,I have worked up loads in my Two 223's,,22-250 and 30-06 using Varget,,so NOW I can just get an 8 Lb Keg
    But I will TRY and check back here to see pics of this "yard Sale" Rifle,,I REALLY hope you did get the Bargain of the Century [:)]
    Bob