In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How can you tell 98% vs 95%

MaaloxMaalox Member Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
I was at a gun show today looking at an SKB 20ga model 385 SXS shotgun. The gun was in very good condition although it was missing some of the chokes and the choke wrench.

The dealer had it priced at the 98% price in the Blue Book $1425. The 95% price is $1025. How would determine the fair price for this gun? I was think it was closer to 95% not 98%. I was ready to pay $1000 for it but he was not moving from $1350.

What differentiates 95% from 98%?

Thanks
Regards, MAALOX

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "fair price" is what you, or someone else, is willing to pay ---- & that's for anything.

In most cases, the difference between 95% & 98% is whether you are the buyer or the seller.

In the stamp & coin business, there are impartial experts who will "grade" an item; not so in the gun business. The closest we have to a grading guide is a section at the front of the BB which pictures & describes specific guns.

The disagreement you had with the dealer is best described as an unsuccessful attempt at negotiation. You didn't want it badly enough to overpay.

Neal
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neal hit the nail right on the head. If I'm selling to you, it's 98%, but if I'm buying it's only 95!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I actually first looked at this same gun about two months ago at a previous show. I thought it was pricey then and hoped he would have dropped his price by now. Well maybe in another month!
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI, I've been watching the 385 for a few months. I'm looking for a 28 with an english stock. Anyway $1350 is a fair price. Look at the completed auctions. In the last 90 days the cheapest one sold for $1400 and that was a 12. Your looking for one for $1000, that would be a really good price. See if he will split the price gap with you. I'm also looking for a great deal. They just don't seem to come on these guns unless you find one private and local. I don't think you will see one for $1000 online. As stated 98-95 just depends which end of the gun your on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chumchum
    HI, I've been watching the 385 for a few months. I'm looking for a 28 with an english stock. Anyway $1350 is a fair price. Look at the completed auctions. In the last 90 days the cheapest one sold for $1400 and that was a 12. Your looking for one for $1000, that would be a really good price. See if he will split the price gap with you. I'm also looking for a great deal. They just don't seem to come on these guns unless you find one private and local. I don't think you will see one for $1000 online. As stated 98-95 just depends which end of the gun your on.

Thanks for the info.

This is a 28 with English stock, local (to me) and a private seller at the gun show. ALthough not sure how it can be a private sale when I see him at quite a few shows. Anyway that's another thread.

I have no idea what the value of this is except for the price listed in the Blue Book. So do you think the blue book value is low on these? Maybe there is an increase in demand for them and they will increase in value over the next few years?
    Regards, MAALOX
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HI, I think a 28 with the english stock for 1350 is a very good deal. Especially if the guy is a private seller, you won't have to pay sales tax and you have no shipping cost and probably no tranfer cost doing a face to face deal, Of course that depends on your state. Online that gun would bring $1500-1800. I would think more towards the $1800 end.
  • Options
    cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If SKBs are like the other smaller gauge guns, it will command a premium. The 28 ga guns are not as available as others. I think you will not get him to come down much, if at all. the price seems ok for a 28 ga.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    Neal hit the nail right on the head. If I'm selling to you, it's 98%, but if I'm buying it's only 95!
    Absolutely
  • Options
    only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good morning Maalox: Well besides the obvious difference, (3%, LOL). IMO a gun in 98%, has seen very little shooting time, some handing wear from cleaning. But a gun in 95% condition is starting to show signs of "carry wear" and possibly some field time.IE there may be a ding, scratch, bruise in the wood, the obvious wear points from being broken open, more wear around the triggerguard area. I agree it's somewhat subjective at times.

When going to gun shows, I've seen guns that were over graded as well as under graded. Over priced and under priced. If it's a popular model, an undergraded, under priced gun will sell in a hurry.

Gun shows can be tricky. A 2 day show, (sat. and sun.) obviously sat. morning at the begining you have the largest selection, not necessarily the greatest prices, nor are sellers motivated to "bargain" at the begining of the show. But come sun. afternoon, when the seller is trying to make expenses, (table fees, food, possibly lodging etc) Sellers are more apt to bargain.

There's an old saying, "Cash talks, B.S. walks"!! You had mentioned this was the second show you had seen the dealer trying to sell this gun. I bet if you were trying to bargain on sun. afternoon, and laid out 13, $100 bills on the table for him he might have acceted. Most sellers will bargain some, 5-10% is not unusual. Anything over 10%, consider yourself lucky.

But being "armed with knowledge" about a particular model of gun, such as going prices, from past sales such as the internet, knowing the B.B. value, the rareity of a particular gauge, or (pistol grip stock vs english grip stock) can only work in your favor!!

Regards Dave
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the additional info.

For the record when I said 28 I meant 28" barrels not 28 ga. It is a 20 ga with 28" barrels. It has two removable chokes in the gun but any others (I assume 3) and the wrench are missing. It has the box. He had it marked at $1425 and offered it to me at $1350 out the door. I had looked at my Blue Book and then went back to see him. He offered to show me the BB price and we both saw the 98% price of $1425 and the 95% price or $1050.

I told him I thought $1350 was a strong price considering it was missing the chokes and the wrench. I said I thought it should be closer to the 95% price. He got visibly upset and told me " Well maybe I should just throw it away since it is such a piece of junk. You can buy chokes all day for $12 each." Anyway at that point I told him I was not trying to insult him and $1350 was just more than I was willing to pay.

I had the cash in my pocket and perhaps as suggested I should have laid 10-12 bills on the table to see if he would have taken them.

There is another show next weekend and I will see if he still has it.
    Regards, MAALOX