In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

just bought a ar-15....

COBRA700COBRA700 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
Hello, I just picked up a bushmaster AR-15 from the local gun show. Just noticed it only has 1 adjustment on the rear sight. The knob on the right side. Doesn't hace the one under. What are the differences between a1 a2 a3 etc... It is stamped xm15-e2s. What would be the best things to do first? Thanks.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The knob adjusts the rear sight for windage only.These are early AR sights, A-1. You adjust the front up or down for elevation. The A-2 has both knobs on the rear.
  • COBRA700COBRA700 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just picked it up brand new.Think i got a good deal. but not sure now because of the sights.... Is the sight adjustment procedure the same? any upgrades? What do you think the max. range is? Thanks
  • bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you sure it has A1 sights? i dont see a lot of bushmasters with those, or any AR for that matter, the "knob" on the right side adjusts windage, the "wheel" adjusts for elevation and is marked accordingly.

max range?, i guess that depends on how good you can shoot, but around 500 yards accurately for most
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a few AR manufacturers that are offering AR's with A1 sights I believe Bushmaster is one of them. Does your carry handle have a cutout (indention) on each side below the rear sight? This is where the elevation knob would be on an A2 and is indented on an A! to save weight I guess.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing to do first is: Buy (& read) "The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide" by Walt Kuleck with Scott Duff.

Before you do anything to "trick it out", you need to decide how you will use it. You got an exceptionally accurate rifle, easily good for 500 m & beyond. If you are going to be using it for long range shooting, then your choice of a scope & ammo will become important.

Check out the ar15.com forum; the guys on that have a lot of good stuff to share with you.

Neal
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nothing wrong with a1 sights, they are fine
    just elevate the front pin to change elevation

a1s have the advantage of not having the yardage adjustment turn without you knowing it
  • 4440rk4440rk Member Posts: 495 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 tsavo303. Also you can buy different height front posts if there is a problem in not having enough adjustment. Have heard of some of those leaving the factory with wrong height front post.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COBRA700,

If it has a knob for windage only, it sounds like an aftermarket A-1 style sight. The original A-1 style sights I carried when I was in was a flat wheel on the side not a knob. The wheel had holes in it and to change windage you had to depress a detent to spin it each hole. The detent was just strong enough to ruin a ball point pen. So you had to carry some kind of punch if you wanted to adjust the windage easily(read change it to your zero, if you borrowed a rifle). With the A-1 you had to move the front sight only up or down.

The big difference between A-1 and A-2 is that the A-2 is readily adjustable for long range. Complete with increments for specific known distances. I think it was a great improvement over the A-1. I personally wouldn't go back to the A-1 type sights unless I got a really good deal on it. At or near like price to an A-2 for an A-1 is too much.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior- in a pinch a 55 gr fmj worked just fine for the rear and could even be used for the front most of the time[;)]Ah the good old days- NOT[xx(]
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Concur. The A1 sights were designed to be moved by inserting the point of a 55gr M193 round into the detent, then dragging the wheel disk to the next hole. Front sight a little more tricky, but the same "bullet" principle applies. Joe