In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good lead 44 mag bullet?

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
What are some good hard cast 240 grain lead bullets I can load up?...they will be shot out of my .44 mag henery and bullet shape doesnt matter, I would prefer round nose though.

They will mostly be used for blowing rocks up...mabey some steel here and there, so I want somthing cheap and hard cast so it wont strip out of the rifling?

Thanks

Comments

• CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Lazer Cast by Oregon Trail, 240gr swc. I shoot them in my Colt Anaconda in front of 24gr H110. Kills them bowling pins DOA.
    Have fun.
    W.D.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LazerCast used to, and most providers probably will, be willing to send you a small sample (half a dozen or so) to "try out". Good idea, especially if you opt for a swc instead of the round nose. they might work in the Henry; then again, they might not.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    National Bullet Co in Ohio makes inexpensive copper plated bullets. Last I looked they had six styles and weights. Some of the current styles made by others with big meplats may give you feeding problems.Sample packs may be the best idea. With plated bullets, you dont have the icky lube problem. I prefer 200 grain swc for 44 Special and Mag because of recoil (in a revolver) and because the 44-40 did very good work in its' day with a 200 gr lead and a 165 gr HS HP.
    I doubt leading or stripping will be a problem at the speeds you shoot them at but check a sample out.
    I have a Keith 235 GR gas check HP mould that gives spectacular expansion in 44 Mag pistol velocities but casting is slow and commercially cast bullets are cheap for plinking.
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    National Bullet Co in Ohio makes inexpensive copper plated bullets. Last I looked they had six styles and weights. Some of the current styles made by others with big meplats may give you feeding problems.Sample packs may be the best idea. With plated bullets, you dont have the icky lube problem. I prefer 200 grain swc for 44 Special and Mag because of recoil (in a revolver) and because the 44-40 did very good work in its' day with a 200 gr lead and a 165 gr HS HP.
    I doubt leading or stripping will be a problem at the speeds you shoot them at but check a sample out.
    I have a Keith 235 GR gas check HP mould that gives spectacular expansion in 44 Mag pistol velocities but casting is slow and commercially cast bullets are cheap for plinking.

Do you have to apply the lube?
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The plated National Bullets dont require lube. The 1 in 10 mix,Keith 235 gr gchp go thru a lube sizer.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen to the Lazercast from Oregon Trail. I've found them to be very accurate in my SuperBlackhawk and 29 Smith with Hercules 2400 with charge weights from 17 up to 22gr.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    The plated National Bullets dont require lube. The 1 in 10 mix,Keith 235 gr gchp go thru a lube sizer.

National's plated bullets are lubed, they are the only plated bullet I have ever seen that are. Their bullets smoke terribly, and even their plated bullets lead badly, the plating is much much thinner than a berry's or Ranier. They have poor customer service on a good day, and non-existent on a bad one.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check the reloading forum about the National bullet Co. complaints.
    They DON'T deliver!
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Bear Creek - they're hard cast, round nose/flat point and moly coated. I've sent them up to about 1,700 fps out of 45/70 handgun & rifle - excellent accuracy and no leading.

http://www.bearcreeksupply.com/default.asp?

Penn Bullets is very good also.
  • muttermutter Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Houston bullet company, 240 grain /wax lube, 6 grains of hp38 or accurate #2. approx 850 ft/sec. extraordinarily accurate with little to no recoil in a 44 mag pistol. 100 yards only. deadly accurate and just plain deadly!!!!

1133 rounds per pound of powder.

5000 rnds = 5lbs powder (leftover;)primers; bullets; $300 max!!

6 cents a round!!!!!!!!!!!