In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester Model 50

Cpl. ParkerCpl. Parker Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited July 2007 in Ask the Experts
What do you all think of the model 50? I looked at one in a local shop, 20 gauge 28" modified, couldn't believe how light it was for an auto. Any pros or cons on this model? Anything I should check for before buying one?

Thanks

Comments

• Cpl. ParkerCpl. Parker Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a chance at a new/unfired Model 50 in 12 ga. Serial number range suggests in was made in 1955? It is marked "Pigeon" on the bottom of the receiver. Wood is outstanding!! It has a extra barrel that was ordered with it--Invoice is with gun. One has a Cutts installed and the other is a full choke 30".

My questions: Doesn't this grade usually have engraving? This one has none??

I would appreciate someone offering a value range as I have described it. Sorry, do not have pictures and I know that would make it easier!! Sorry.
    edited November -1
    Are there any magazine extentions that will fit a Winchester Model 50 shotgun?

Thanks
    edited November -1
    Does anyone out there love a Winchester model 50 (especially in 20 gauge) as much as I do? I collect model 12s mostly and have a passion for them as well. I was wondering why the model 50 does not seem to have much value as a collector gun at this time. Can anyone discuss this with me?
    edited November -1
    How do I dis-assemble it for a thorough cleaning?
    edited November -1
    Any idea of value on Win 50 12g. modified, NRA Exc +
    Thanks for response,
    Morty
    edited November -1
    I would like to fit a pistol grip butt stock to my model 50 shotgun, I realize that this is a semi-auto, but would a pistol grip buttt stock for a winchester model 1200/1300 shotgun fit? I know the forend won't. I have a muscle disorder that makes holding a standard grip a bit tricky. Please reply with any solutions or problems to this fit, it would be much appreciated. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I see a couple of these on the auction side. I recently saw one at a local gun show in 20 ga that looked exceptionally good for a little more money ($350) than what appears to be the average price here.

Can anyone point me to a source, or give us all a write-up, about the Model 50? It seems to have been made for only a few years. Any comments about reliability, robustness, quirks?

Thanks.
    edited November -1
    I need info on a model 50 12ga. serial #114726. This shotgun has engraving on the stock and body. The engraving on the left side body has 2 hunting dogs and a pheasant, the right side has 2 ducks flying out of a marsh scene. All the animals appear to be silver. The right side of the stock has 3 ducks flying out of a marsh.

The pictures I've seen of other model 50 were of plain no engraved bodies and stocks. Is this some sort of special edition or custom work? My father bought this back in the late 50's or early 60's and he is deseased, so I can't ask him. I can take some pictures if needed. And NO it won't be for sale!

Louis
    edited November -1
    I friend of mine (72 years young) has a semi-auto model 50. He thinks it was manufactured in or about 1950. He says it is the best shooting shotgun he's ever had. He has developed some health problems and is forced to move. He asked me if I'd ever seen any other model 50s. I told him I'd not, but I would ask the experts here on GB and maybe they could come up with some information he can take with him when he moves next week. He's told me many times about other friends that want to trade their new 3" magnums for his old model 50 because it out shoots their "fancy shotguns" so badly.

Thank you in advance for any information I can give him.
    Phill

If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly
    edited November -1
    I have an aluminum Model 50 Reciever. I took the stock off and can't remember how the flat washer and spring loaded washer went back on, and what is the purpose of it. Do steel recievers have this spring and flat washer? Can anyone help me with this?
    How can I tell if the closing spring is weak or okay? Where would I be able to purchase a new one or one that is okay? Maybe Bobski or only Winchester can help with this issue.
    edited November -1
    I'm curious about the value of this 1954 12 gauge semi auto????
    used but cared for(good condition or better)
    edited November -1
    I have found the DOM but how do we find out if it is a trap model? it has a 30inch full choke barrel w/vent rib
  • only winchestersonly winchesters Member Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello CPL: No, the forearm screw goes through the barrel lug into the mag plug.

Regards Dave
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no. best to leave a classic gun a classic and chop up a newer one that will accpet snap on accessories. those old winchesters were hand fitted and hand made.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.